Electric Car Road Tax

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
I think there should be some kind of audit to show how the state's gas tax is currently being used, with all of that money coming in, the roads should be paved with gold and smooth as a baby's butt by this point.
I grew up in PA. I moved away in 1989 and every time I go home I am amazed that it seems like they are still working on fixing the same roads as when I left 33 years ago. Also they seem to be making more roads "toll" roads.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Here in Michigan, many of us - well, me at least - attribute the poor roads to several things. One is always taking lowest bidder for the road work. I realize goods specs should make that a non-issue, but that leads to a second point - when I worked a AKR, a small French robotics company, the vice president I worked for(I did mention the company was small), who grew up in France, said the road construction he saw in Michigan used way too little steel rerod, compared to what he saw in France. And, we weren't digging deep enough to build a good foundation.

The other thing is, in SE Michigan, there is a lot of clay in the soil. It retains a lot of water, so the winter\spring freeze\thaw tends to move the ground a lot, buckling the roads. I have noticed that in NW Michigan(lower peninsula), e.g. near Traverse city, there is a lot more sand in the soil. And those roads seem to stay in better shape than what I see in SE Michigan. So I think some of the problem is just fighting the type of soil we're building the roads over.

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
Here in Michigan, many of us - well, me at least - attribute the poor roads to several things. One is always taking lowest bidder for the road work. I realize goods specs should make that a non-issue, but that leads to a second point - when I worked a AKR, a small French robotics company, the vice president I worked for(I did mention the company was small), who grew up in France, said the road construction he saw in Michigan used way too little steel rerod, compared to what he saw in France. And, we weren't digging deep enough to build a good foundation.

The other thing is, in SE Michigan, there is a lot of clay in the soil. It retains a lot of water, so the winter\spring freeze\thaw tends to move the ground a lot, buckling the roads. I have noticed that in NW Michigan(lower peninsula), e.g. near Traverse city, there is a lot more sand in the soil. And those roads seem to stay in better shape than what I see in SE Michigan. So I think some of the problem is just fighting the type of soil we're building the roads over.
There should be inspections while construction is ongoing. I work for an engineering firm and we have techs who report to the State on just what you described (QC). We have lab samples and classify the soils and aggregates, pound the Proctors in the molds, then test the soils and aggregates as they are being installed in the field to make sure they are putting in the fill correctly and are compacting to meet the Proctor that was for each type of soil and aggregate. Then we have VDOT here who watches over our shoulder to make sure we are doing our jobs (QA). Same with Concrete and Asphalt testing, etc.... Here, VDOT has the engineered design drawings and our techs have to make sure the subgrade and everything is correct before any paving takes place.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
A doctor picked up his hybrid from my shop yesterday. He has two. He said there is no difference in registration for the hybrids yet. He did say the EV's are more, but wasn't sure how much.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
several years back, county council introduced & passed legislation to offer a limited number of cash subsidies to those who buy & register an EV/HV; first come first serve. Guess who those registrants are? That's right, majority were family & friends of those councilmen. Fast forward, now same county collects a premium on routine vehicle fees ... premium for those EV/HV ... ya know, gotta pay for that road upkeep which continues the age-old practice of First benefitting the doctor-lawyer-politician enclaves. SOSDD

*edit
Of course, there's No graft between VDOT and its contractors including labs ... Nor in other states/jurisdictions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZsZs

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2017
It seems back in the day there were large crews working on these interstate jobs. Now they tear up miles of road and work on it with five people that takes 3 years. By the time they finish its time to start over again.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I’m pretty sure that gas taxes are going to go away and be replaced by mileage taxes.
I regard this as a good thing, roads are worn out by miles driven, not fuel economy.
Now that everything had loggable digital odometers, people can’t cheat

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
I’m pretty sure that gas taxes are going to go away and be replaced by mileage taxes.
I regard this as a good thing, roads are worn out by miles driven, not fuel economy.
I struggle with the implementation of that. The thing about fuel tax is the simplicity and finality of the collection process. Right at the pump, pay as you go, very small amounts at time of purchase, done. Whats that going to change to, needing to go the the DMV at some interval (annually?) to have my odometer checked and then given a tax bill, presumably in the 100s of dollars?

I also dont assume odometers can't be changed in this new age.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I think you're close, but off target just a bit. Fixed it.

I’m pretty sure that gas taxes will be augmented by mileage taxes in the future.