Electric Car Road Tax

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
wait, you actually drove this thing right? I can't think the trans was that jammed into the pilot and shoving the crank that hard and still shift worth a poop
Wrong thread....LOL. I think you meant to post this in another place where I was reading a few minutes ago. I agree, that transmission couldn't have shifted very well with all of that preloaded up against it, if that is truly what happened to the pilot bushing.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
I was going to start a new thread, but much of the same is already being discussed here.

Typical BS - I’m sure this doesn’t apply to very many on here but in my little city of 2500ish people our electric service is billed through the city as well as water sewer and recycling fees. The city purchases power from Xcel and resells to us. The benefit, the city also owns and operates a small power plant. While 100 years ago it powered the town, its used now to cover power outages from Xcel. (Storm damage etc etc) pretty slick 10 min after power goes out a city worker scurries over to the plant, it’s right down town, and fires it up and we in town people have power again(yay) until the mains is fixed.
So here we have our current problem, a large component at the substation broke 2 months ago. No big deal town genny gets fired up and we wait for repairs/replacement. They fought with it and a couple weeks in they got it temporarily fixed so the new component could be manufactured and delivered. (Hasn’t happened yet) so their patch fails. Town genny gets fired back up but then the largest and main gen of the 3 in the building catastrophically fails. Engineers called in. All sorts of people are called in. Can’t fix it. The other 2 are running on borrowed time running at max capacity. (I might add that with only the 2 smaller ones running they are burning through about $17,000 in diesel PER DAY!!!)
They are asking residents to turn off ac, anything that uses lots of power. Under threat of losing another generator they are planning on cutting the power to the entire northwest side of town - understandably so as this part of town does not have any lift pumps for sanitary sewers or wells for water. Nor the old folks home and medical center.
But then, the churches sit empty and the ac running full blast. The library, city owned and operated, 1 and a half days a week mind you, Ac on and running full tilt. But here I am a well paying customer faced with blackouts that may or may not last hours or days or weeks(they don’t have a clue how long).. (Fortunately the chief of police sits directly across the room from the city manager so when I bring in a garbage can full of spoiled meat from my freezer and dump it on her desk, he won’t have to go far as I’m sure I’ll have to talk to him after.)

And then we find out that - ok we knew the city owned the golf course- we find out that a few years ago the city took 2.2million out of the gen plant fund to “fix up” and get the golf course out of the deep red. Which is still teetering on the edge of failure I might add but it’s nice for the 7 people that ever golf there. (One comment as from a guy claiming to have done a survey of 50 ppl in town 5 of which said they moved here because of the golf course……touting 10% approval when less than 2% of the population was polled doesn’t make much sense to me. Seems to me he just asked the only people at the golf course and then 45 others said no and he stopped. Where have I seen approval ratings like this before? Oh yeah. Government. Oh well another argument for another day.

The substation is getting further damaged by water intrusion - but hell the golf course is green let’s go! The genny plant is on the verge of going tits up. Let’s go play a round of golf.

Seems proof enough to me that the more you let government run your life the further and deeper you get boned. But hey the golf course is slightly profitable this year.

Oh and I might point out that those in the northwest portion of our “grid” that have electric vehicles…..yep sorry you won’t be charging your cars much. Hope you still own a bicycle it’s a good 20 mile ride to the bigger town that most are employed in.

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
""The least windy time of year is summer when electricity demand in Texas peaks," Lesser said. "So, you've got a resource that is at its highest in the spring and fall when electricity demand is lowest. That means the wind as a resource has a low economic value because you want something that's available when demand is highest."

So let's see-
1. The least windy time is summer.
2. They KNOW the least windy time is summer.
3. They fail to build adequate reserves in order to maximize profits at the expense of consumers.
4. This is the fault of the greenies. ??

This is a failure of policy. Full stop. Of ERCOT- those who run it, and those who appoint people to run it. What's keeping them from buying and installed several GW of CC Gas Turbines to supplement the grid again?

Do you know what there's more of in the summer? Oooh, ooh, ooh, I know, pick me!! Pick me!! It would pick up right at the time of day the wind reduces.

How about we just ridicule them like we do when CA has this problem? Or is it off limits because "don't mess with Texas?"

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
""The least windy time of year is summer when electricity demand in Texas peaks," Lesser said. "So, you've got a resource that is at its highest in the spring and fall when electricity demand is lowest. That means the wind as a resource has a low economic value because you want something that's available when demand is highest."

So let's see-
3. They fail to build adequate reserves in order to maximize profits at the expense of consumers.

This is a failure of policy. Full stop. Of ERCOT- those who run it, and those who appoint people to run it. What's keeping them from buying and installed several GW of CC Gas Turbines to supplement the grid again?

Do you know what there's more of in the summer? Oooh, ooh, ooh, I know, pick me!! Pick me!! It would pick up right at the time of day the wind reduces.

How about we just ridicule them like we do when CA has this problem? Or is it off limits because "don't mess with Texas?"
This reads just like I have literally just posted. Government in charge of business where they have no reason to. The gov is not supposed to be making money or be being profitable.

ZsZs

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2017
Here in Ohio CEI now First Energy talked our elected officials into deregulating the industry for better service for all. My bills went up about 40% come to find out they needed the extra money to bribe a member of congress. So nice to see my rate increase go to a good cause.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ

So let's see-

Solar is supplemental, as is wind. The square footage of solar panels needed to replace a nuke is untenable. Wind kills birds lol.

Nukes and maybe some hydro electric is the only real answer. But given the water crisis in the west, maybe not hydro.

The hard-core greens don't go for nukes. Ask Germany how turning off the nukes worked out.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
"Do you know what there's more of in the summer? Oooh, ooh, ooh, I know, pick me!! Pick me!! It would pick up right at the time of day the wind reduces."

"In the United States, wind power is significantly more popular than solar. Out of all the renewable energy produced in the U.S. in 2019, 24% came from wind, while 9% came from solar power. Utilities and large scale operations heavily utilize wind energy while homeowners prefer solar energy."

"The primary benefit of wind over solar power for your home is that wind turbines aren’t dependent on sunlight. This means that they have the ability to generate power 24 hours a day, whereas solar panels only generate power during sunlight hours."

(we also have more utility wind power than solar power here in Michigan)