Electric Car Road Tax

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
old.jpg

"Stop blocking my power!" Hey it would be a valid reason, at least.:D

Todd.... Todd...Todd... ol' buddy... ol pal... ol' chum...;)

I really hope you're not going to try tell me that "oh, well all these things are just perfectly normal, just another point of view, nothing to worry about, etc".

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles

The problem is the true believer isn't deterred by anything that contradicts the fantasy they've concocted about "green energy" being the ultimate utopia.

In the middle of record gasoline prices, cities in California are banning construction of new gas stations.

The level of fanaticism against fossil fuels and this global warming stuff is just mind blowing.

ZsZs

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hmm, True believer and fantasy could pretty much describe everything that seems to go on these days with all sorts of issues.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I read that LA Times article. Interesting, but I'm thinking they'll develop more recycling as the need arises. Time will tell. I think they certainly want to capture the cadmium from old panels.

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
I read that LA Times article. Interesting, but I'm thinking they'll develop more recycling as the need arises. Time will tell. I think they certainly want to capture the cadmium from old panels.
That article is a bit lacking in depth. I agree with recycling at end-of-life, but many/most panels produced in 2006 (which is an exceedingly small amount of the present total) aren't yet at end of life. This is a good heads up nonetheless.
The bigger thing is that the bulk of mainstream solar panels- monocrystalline and polycrystalline- easily 90% of what's out there, don't use much/any of those concerning metals... the oldest ones probably still have lead/tin solder, but even that rolled away mostly in the RoHS years (2006-7 and beyond). Indium, gallium, arsenic, cadmium are all for those thin-film panels, which are still a tiny fraction of the market, and probably always will be.
Mainstream panels are going to be filled with silicon doped with boron and phosphorus, aluminum for the frame and probably much of the conductors, lead-free solder, the glass, a bit of plastic, and...?
It should still be recovered as much as possible, don't get me wrong.

Do people put this much thought into what happens to all the interior and electronic components in their cars at end of life? I mean, we should, but if we're going to here, shouldn't the same standard apply to the things we already throw away at EOL?

I also agree with the article's mention of throwing some of the onus for EOL reclaim/recycle back onto the producer. That would be useful for lots of sectors.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Do people put this much thought into what happens to all the interior and electronic components in their cars at end of life? I mean, we should, but if we're going to here, shouldn't the same standard apply to the things we already throw away at EOL?

That's not the problem. Those issues are a known quantity and have been for years.

The problem is how these EV's are being pushed with a near religious-fanaticsm to the extent that you've got government officials openly cheering on high gas prices as some sort of punishment for people who continue to drive gas powered cars. The narrative being pushed is that somehow if we all switched to EV's tomorrow, all our problems will be solved.

There is essentially zero discussion about any of the ill-preparedness for such massive numbers of EV's, such as the issues with sourcing the necessary materials (which China happens to control most of the supply), what to do with these materials at EOL for the car, dumping all these EV's onto an already maxed out electric grid, etc.

It's the propagandistic and deceptiveness of it all that's the problem.

So, one of the most energy-rich states in the country can barely keep the lights on as it too caves into the "green energy" fantacism.

California is taking ~10% of it's power production offline...

So generally it appears we have demand being artificially forced upward by the same government that appears to be actively reducing supply...?

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
The problem is how these EV's are being pushed with a near religious-fanaticsm to the extent that you've got government officials openly cheering on high gas prices as some sort of punishment for people who continue to drive gas powered cars. The narrative being pushed is that somehow if we all switched to EV's tomorrow, all our problems will be solved.

It's the propagandistic and deceptiveness of it all that's the problem.

YUP!

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
The problem is the true believer isn't deterred by anything that contradicts the fantasy they've concocted about "green energy" being the ultimate utopia.

In the middle of record gasoline prices, cities in California are banning construction of new gas stations.

The level of fanaticism against fossil fuels and this global warming stuff is just mind blowing.
I have to admit, I see this a lot now.
When people get cranked up on an idea, they get their blinders on and do not think things through all the way. I think they just want the good outcome so bad, they ignore any and all pitfalls.