Electric pump on carburetor whats the best setup?

phantom69

Dec 16, 2020
Key in run position. I don't need it pumping if just sitting with radio on or testing circuits.
exactly! thats what i want to avoid..how did you wire it and are you using a relay? any additional switches you used as well in conjunction with the pump?

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
Holley has nice diagrams in their fuel pump instructions, including relays and oil pressure safety switch.

I'm not sure what pump setup to choose that can run a carb or efi. Not sure I see any sense bothering with one that won't work with your efi setup. (And tank, lines, etc)

rlargent

Aug 2, 2016
Elizabethton, TN
I'm not sure if this helps but in 1984 the Camaro with a 305 H.O. engine had this exact same setup. The electric fuel pump in the tank served to both prime the fuel system and prevent vapor lock. It also had a mechanical fuel pump and a return line. I think that the pump would just run to pressurize the mechanical fuel pump and all excess fuel was returned to the tank. The mechanical fuel pump just used what was needed to feed the carb. This is a neat setup. I'm not sure if it would work for our second gens but I have considered trying it on my 71 since it has the Z28 fuel system with a mechanical pump and return line.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
Roadkill garage used a Bosch electric fuel pump on a EFI system. They said that it is useable on a carburetor with a regulator. I'm going to put one on my 87 S10 drag truck with a return regulator which dumps off the excessive fuel pressure and keeps it below 7 psi from idle to WFO throttle.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
No matter which type electric fuel pump --- suggest wiring it with an Inertia Shut Off Switch as are OE in every production vehicle w/ OE electric pump. Inertia switches available as new OE replacement for under $25.
Very simple to wire in and can be reset with a simple push button. Think of a wreck where fuel lines are compromised and pump keeps running --- ugly. That's why inertia switches are OE.