Electrical Issue- No power to anything

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by classicsteele, Feb 15, 2020.

1. classicsteele

classicsteele Member

The car is a 70 Camaro. It ran fine last week. No dash, no lights, nothing. The battery was fine but I changed it just to eliminate it. The fuses look fine. I can run a jumper wire to the starter solenoid and get the motor to turn over. Could a bad starter solenoid cause a power loss to the entire car? I have to be missing the obvious. TIA

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Start with Battery cables and ground. A bad ground will be a usual cause. Fusible link, ignition relay.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Since you can jump the solenoid and get it to turn over that means battery cables are probably good. I've seen the smallest amount of corrosion on a battery cable cause power loss, doesn't take much. I'd use a volt meter and check your fusible links. 70 wiring diagram shows a junction block (by battery I believe), it is fed by a brown wire connecting to starter lug, protected by a fusible link. Check for 12 V at that junction block, no power means either wire is broken, disconnected or fusible link has blown (going to need to figure out why it blew if it is blown). That junction block has 3 wires: brown (from starter main lug), red is in from alt to charge battery (current goes back down the brown wire then through pos battery cable to bat) and then a black wire comes off the junction block and feeds fuse box (I think all your hot items cig lighter, headlights, interior lights, clock). Another source of power for fuse block comes off horn relay stud, black wire on stud, there is 3 wires on stud, red is hot, dark green is power to horns and then the black wire to fuse block. I'm not showing anymore fusible links than the one I mentioned, I know on my 72 the wire from the horn relay to fuse box has a fusible link in it, seems like a good idea, don't know why they didn't protect that wire on the 1970 model year.

hubedobeedo and dale68z like this.
  4. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

I might be confused...Are you saying you don't have electrical power to anything with IGN simply in the 'run' position or are you saying your IGN will not do its job w/the starter? I'm assuming the starter route. Will say a bad IGN switch will cause power loss to whole car...Anyhoo, first, do you have 12 volts to the 's' post of your starter solenoid with key/push button in start position?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

This diagram shows the two fusable links. Do you have power at the alternator? One fusable link is between the battery and the alternator. That one is mounted on the starter. If power is getting to the alternator, look at the next fusable link that feeds power to the interior of the car.
    http://nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/70-engwire.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman New Member

Check the pigtail ground. Negative cable on battery should have a wire going from the terminal to the body. With out that
    you will have nothing. Ask me how I know.

7. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Since everything was OK before the job. you must have connected the main feed cable at the starter to the wrong terminal, or might have not connected it at all. First, disconnect the battery, then get under the car to examine the wires going to the starter to make sure you didn't leave one off, or one got damaged.