electrical issue

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Scrappy1980, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Scrappy1980

Scrappy1980 Member

My dome light was not working and it came on this am when I was in the car. Now it is not working again, also the wipers, the cigarette lighter and radio are not working (not sure if the radio is working at all). Anyway, my ac works, flasher, turn signals lights, headlights all work.

i had taken the console out to replace it, fuses look good. However, I came across a red wire with a pan shaped head that was not attached. I am not sure what this red wire is for because the previous owner had cruise control and an alarm added that was taken out because it did not work.

My theory is that power is not getting to the accessories because they worked at one time and now the above-mentioned items are not. I look at the fuse box but I cant find a place for the red wire with a pan head on it goes on the fuse box.

Any ideas?

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Check the fuses electrically, not just visually. They can look fine and fail where you can't physically see the fault. Look for voltage on both sides of all fuses that are "hot" at all times, some will only be powered up with the key in run/accessory position or lights on.

3. mikess68

mikess68 been there and back

If you don't mind a question, did you figure it out? not stealing you forum but ditto here. 72 RS, rear defogger no power, dome light no power, cig lighter no power, radio "appears" no power but not accurate check yet, fuse box and fuses are all fine. is there a common hot wire for these items? car is unmolested original survivor unrestored one owner. no one appears under the dash but me best I can tell. also is all factory items, no add on's.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Orange wire hot at all times provides power to dome light, from fuse box it goes to connection at cig lighter, has another connection where it ties into rear console light if you have a console., grounded through door switches. Radio and rear defog are on switched wire that only get power when ign is on. Best to check the electrical schematics on here and trace power using a test light. Invaluable tool for figuring out elec issues, if you can read a map you should be able to trace an electrical schematic, start at the power source and work you way down the wire, don't forget grounds, without a ground it ain't gonna work.

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

If anyone can post a complete high resolution wiring diagram for a 72, that I could then modify to highlight different circuits, this might be helpful.
    I did this on a lot of the Chevy II's and Nova's on Stevesnovasite.com and it really helps explaining things to where I highlight each different circuits with the other circuits still seen and then remove all of the other circuits to where it's easier to read and explain things.
    ANYWAY, below is a 73 diagram I found and just have it to where it shows the one fuse circuit for the dome light, lighter, glove box light, and seat light. Since I have no specific 72 Camaro diagram, maybe this 73 info is the same.
    If you are getting power to both sides of the fuse then out of the fuse block, the single orange wire goes to a splice point and joins into the wires for the dome light, lighter, glove box light, and seat light. This is shown as connection 140 below connecting legs B, D, E, and F to leg A out of the fuse block. If on all 4 ends at these different points are dead, then it has to be a connection issue between where all of the wires splice together and the backside of the fuse block.

[​IMG]

If one can post a diagram for a 72, then I could give more information as to how the rear defroster circuit is wired but until then you might have to dig into it yourself.

Jim

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't count on that splice joint being the culprit, especially if it is anything like the main power harness under the hood, crimped soldered, taped. Start at the fuse block and see what is going on there. I don't recall seeing any splice in my old harness I just had out when I was using it for determining where wires went when I was re-wiring some stuff in my 72. Most of the connections went to connection blocks with two wires going to a terminal, one for power and one to feed downstream.

7. Jim Streib

I too wouldn't count on the splice joint being the problem BUT if at the splice you have no power then there is a break between it and the fuse block. Chances are it is buried in the loomed wiring.

One just has to go through a logical progression and then the issue(s) should be found.

When I was working on some wiring on a 67 Chevelle and I finally got to see the main power "splice". It was interesting how they did the splice with a special crimp connector and then also soldered it which I was not expecting.

[​IMG]

Jim

8. Jim Streib

If for some reason you might think it is a connection behind the fuse block between it and the bulkhead connector,here is some info as to how some of the fuse blocks come apart from the bulkhead connector side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums/72157691827765644

Also in the below photo of a fuse block for my 74 Nova with the fuse side apart from the bulkhead side, the large red wire on the backside of the fuse block on the right side is the feed from the battery which then goes to three other slots while the one top specific orange wire is the fuse protected wire out of the fuse block to the dome light, lighter, and such.

[​IMG]

Jim