Electrical issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Dennis Wilkie, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

No, but I took it apart and everything looked normal aside from everything I had to clean out of it. I still haven't put it back on, but I will before I do. I still think it's electrical because at some point when I turned my headlights on, all of the lights went out. But it's completely random. I couldn't get it to happen again last night

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Bad connection. Should be a easy find.

3. Dennis Wilkie

Starter's fine.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Put it back together and then test it with a volt meter at the starter. One lead to the case of the starter and the other to the battery lug on the starter. Take a voltage reading, now with the meter still hooked up try to crank it and see what the voltage says when it clicks.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice! Now continue the Easter egg hunt for the bad connection!

6. Dennis Wilkie

I got it started again, but i'm only getting the prime from the fuel pump. It's not staying on when it's running, and I only saw 3 psi on the gauge during the prime. This is the part i've been trying to figure out for almost a month now. I just found the info in these pictures in 2 other forums, but i've always used a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and got rid of the pressure sending unit and switch. I haven't been able to come up with any solid answers as to which wire excites the fuel pump that I need to relocate, and where to splice it into. As soon as I get that figured out, I believe I can figure out the rest of the tuning myself.

Attached Files:

7. Best Of Both

Best Of Both New Member

3 psi of fuel pressure isn’t enough to run the TBI system let alone fuel a carburetor. The initial shot of fuel you see is a 3 second primer for the old fuel injection system. Like attached file states the pump gets power through the oil pressure switch after engine start. What distributor are you using? A little background on me. I was one of the leading diagnostic techs for GM and Chrysler before leaving the industry. I have owned all gen Camaros at one time or another. My current project is a 96 Z28 that I’m restoring. Also 30 years engine building and drag racing. I’m here to help and nothing more. I consult on diagnosis with older cars as a side job but I’m not looking for more work. Just sharing knowledge while I still can.

biker likes this.
  8. Dennis Wilkie

I just temporarily bypassed the relay and have the pump run with the key on for now, and adjusted the regulator to 5 psi. I'm leaving for Arizona in the morning and couldn't stand the thought of being gone for an entire week with it being this close to drivable after 3 years worth of work. I did drive it a little bit last night and the transmission I rebuilt seems to be alright. It's got way quicker and more smooth shifts now. I've just got to get the timing all the way dialed in and figure out exactly where to set the screws and idle. I don't remember the brand of distributor, because I bought it somewhere around February I believe, and it just sat in the box until about 2 weeks ago. But it's an HEI and so far i've got no complaints. Might need to get better motor mounts after everything gets dialed in, because it rocks that 6000 pound truck pretty hard when it gets some gas

9. Best Of Both

Best Of Both New Member

Ok you Idle speed should be around 650 in drive give or take. Adjusting the mixture screws. They should be about 1 and a half turns out to get it running. Turn the mixture screw in until you feel a change the slowly turn it back out until it smooths out then just a touch more. If you listen closely you will feel when to stop.

biker likes this.
  10. Dennis Wilkie

Yeah, I was playing around with it earlier today, and only noticed a difference on the right side. I've got my vacuum advance on the higher, left side port, and on the right, manifold side was pulling a steady 15 psi of vacuum at idle. So at least i've got no vacuum leaks anywhere. I assume it needs to stay on the ported side