Electrical Problem with DD

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 68400BIRD, Oct 1, 2014.

1. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix.

My key fob will only unlock my car. I have two fobs and both are the same way. Batteries are good in both. I know this is not the problem but thought I would mention it so it was not brought up as the problem.

Here are a list of the problems.

Cannot open the trunk with the key fob.
    Cannot lock the car with the key fob.
    Cannot use the auto-start with the key fob.
    The auto locks do not always lock when putting the car into gear.
    I cannot always lock or unlock the car using the power switch on the door. I may need to press it several times one way or the other or both.

What I can do.
    The power trunk lock works from inside the car.
    I can unlock the doors with the key fob.
    The alarm button on the key fob still works.
    I can lock and unlock the doors with the power switch but it does not always work the first time.

I am pretty sure it is the BCM (body control module)

GM does not have any new ones available according to one of my local dealers.
    I can buy a rebuilt AC Delco unit from Rockauto but it will not have any warranty from the dealer when installed.
    The unit will need to be flashed by the GM dealer.
    They want $100.00 plus to flash the unit.
    Labor to install new unit.

I want to have the old unit hanging and then plug the new unit in at the dealer to help save a few bucks.

Any suggestions on my problems or what should be the next step would be appreciated.

2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Newer cars cost money.
    All this CANN technology and such so one wire that gets different signals run down it connects everything anymore.
    Some newer cars are basically using wi-fi from the switch to the bcm to the motor to lock/unlock the doors etc.

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

What have you done to confirm a bad bcm? I've seen a number of the newer style gm remotes go bad to where they either partially work like you are describing or totally dead. Personally I would start with a new remote. Oreillys has them, part number MTM 13731, they sell for $70-$80 depending what store it is. They come with the gizmo to program them without having to take it to the dealer, or at least somebody with a tech2 scanner.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.ore...1442751_-1&pt=03932&ppt=C2402&un_jtt_redirect

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with gramps it very well may be the remotes. Don't pay $70-80 for a new remote though. They can be had on e-bay for about $20-40. Unfortunately you do require a tool program the remote on that vehicle.

Have you asked the dealer for a diagnostic cost to find the issue? Most times it's an hour or under. It may be cheaper then throwing parts at it. You really need a good scan tool like the tech II to get in and see what's going on and be sure of what's bad. The BCM should have self diagnostic abilities but you have to be able to pull the trouble codes and watch the data. Body control modules don't go bad very often.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

^what he said. Gm bcm's are pretty tough buggers. I get very few parts requests for gm modules. Chrysler bcm's however are about as flakey as a puff pastry.

Also the reason I suggested the new remote is a: used off eBay likely has no warranty and may be broken
    And B: say it costs you $20 plus the shipping, you still need to take it to a dealer or garage with a tech2 gm scan tool to program it. Which will likely cost you an hours worth of labor. Around here the dealer is gettin $110/hour so you'd be money ahead to go with the new one. It literally takes less than a minute to program it. You pop the gizmo into the obd2 port, turn the key to on and press the buttons on the remote like it tells you to. It takes as long to get it out of the packaging as it does to program it lol.

6. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Both remotes started acting up at the same time.
    When I hit the door locks from inside the car I can hear the BCM clicking but nothing happens. If I click it several times to unlock and then hit lock I can usually get the doors to lock. Both remotes going bad at the same time seems odd.
    The auto door locks should lock when put in gear. Sometimes they do others they don't. That should have nothing to do with the fob.
    There seems to be a lot of problems with the bcm's in these cars.
    The two GM dealers that I called were both leaning towards the bcm being bad.
    I'm not arguing the point, I am open to options.LOL

7. Knuckle Dragger

Looking over the system on Prodata I don't see how you are going to diagnose this without a tech II. I have never ever seen a module be defective intermittently. I have seen tons of issues with door lock actuators and keyless fobs. To do this correctly you need to be able to check to see the modules have communication because there is more than one module involved. You need to see if the BCM is receiving the requests from the switches or fobs. You'll need to compare commands from the BCM to signals received at the components. Anything less is shotgunning parts. I don't think it's the BCM. If GM had a run on them the local dealer would have one in stock. ;) I wish you luck but I still contend you'll be money ahead finding a good dealer to do the diagnoses. If you were closer I think I could offer some real help but right now we're both guessing.

8. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Gramps/Knuckle Dragger, Alright you got me thinking more. Sometimes you get stuck in one mode. LOL
    I pulled the spare remote out of storage and tried it again. It does nothing at all. So I pulled it apart to check the battery. Battery is good but the clip it attaches to is loose. So, that rules out that fob unless I can solder it back on.

I can get the BCM checked out for $150.00.

I'm going to attempt to fix the spare fob. If I can, I will check to see what it's functions are. If everything works then it's possible that the door lock switch could be faulty.
    The BCM should lock the doors when put in gear. It does not always do this. That's why I was leaning towards the BCM. Maybe a door lock on it's way out could cause some of these problems.

9. Knuckle Dragger

I've fixed that fob issue before. In my case patience was the key but I suck soldering anything but bare wires LOL.

10. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

If you here the BCM click with the remotes and when pushing the door lock/unlock switch on the door, then I'd call it the BCM.

A cold solder joint can happen and can work fine for quite awhile before separating.