Electrolysis Tank

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 8pack, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'l back the 2amp setting on the battery charger.

Bandit723 likes this.
  2. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

This is one of my favorite ways to clean off rust from old parts, I will add that you should but a fuse on your wire just incase the part and the sacrificial metal inadvertently touch. While not required for the process to work, I have found that adding an old car battery in parallel with the battery charger will help filter out some of the AC ripple from the charger.

Coadster32 likes this.
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is the front axle of my truck staged and ready except for the Rebar. The ankle is resting in 2 pieces of Azek on the edg of the mounting plate and I have 1 tire chocks keeping it from rolling over. A total of less than 2 square inches is touching something so I should get a hood clean piece out. I have additional blocks of cut Azek for other parts later.

Sandblasting would have definitely been quicker as I had at least an hour into cleaning 65 years of mud, grain and grease off the axle but I am hopeful for a better result. I am pretty confident I will be happy.

To prep the axle I power washed it to get the big stuff off. Next I sprayed it with the purple cleaner and scrubbed it with a wire brush and then power washed it again. It took at least 5 rounds of cleaning to get all the dirt and major grease off. I then sprayed it with engine cleaner and power washed it once more. So it is clean and ready to go.

E5C49D7C-30A7-4D2A-9085-D3C137B738D5.jpeg

4. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have done it in the past
    Works very well but slow
    Make sure you have a ventilated area
    I’ve heard white wine vinegar works just as well

5. 8pack

I have used white vinegar. It would take at least 3 days, maybe more, for a part that size and I am guessing 15-20 gallons of white vinegar! I found that white vinegar doesn’t do a great job with scale either unless you leave it in for an extended time, like a week.

This supposedly is about 6hrs but we will see!

6. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here...why not just sandblast?

I suppose if a guy didn't have a decent air compressor or a friend who does, this would make sense but water/chemicals plus electricity just seems dangerous

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

did my seat frames with this worked good.

seat frame.jpg

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

should add it will make a mess

mess.jpg

9. 8pack

Excellent question.

I do have a guy nearby who sandblasts and had some parts done. It was $400 and he used to aggressive media. I just wasn’t happy with how it came out.

I suppose I could do it here but it will make a huge mess and the dust is not particularly safe. I know to wear a respirator but getting all dressed up in hazmat gear in 90* weather doesn’t seem fun.

This is in fact very safe, cheap and the only chemical is baking soda. When done the water can be drained out anywhere as it is just iron and baking soda, no toxic chemicals.

Based on what I have read it gets parts super clean, especially heavily rusted parts. Although it is taking me several days to set up that is just because I am doing it in between other things. You can have it up and running in an hour.

Now, I haven’t actually used it yet so I may come back and decide it wasn’t worth it, but I am optimistic!

Short story, it just seemed ultimately cheaper, easier and safer than sandblasting it myself of paying someone else to do it. We will see!

10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I've done the electroysis thing for years [even used a buddys beater ranger pick-up bed with a tarp in it for a tank to do a tractor body once] one thing no-one has mentioned is somehow it KILLS all the rust and it does not comeback,blast that axle and rust will bleed thru from somewhere if its heavily pitted if you blast.The other thing with hi volume of water set-ups is the power source.I have access to a spare 36 volt charger for my electric pallet jacks at work.That is what speeds up the process when doing a large volume of solution.I've also found used lawn mower blades are a great sacrificial rod,weld a washer on the end to hang,they last a long time just scrape the rust thats attracted off so they are clean during use and they really pull [guessing its the metal density] Got a buddy who scraps I give him $10 for a 5 gallon bucket of them [I can hardly lift them]. I just bought some rebar for a landscaping project over a buck a foot YIKES. You'll LOVE it! I have buddys dropping stuff of often for me to put in the "solution" Best wishes with the project !! Steve!!