End of an era...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by harbone66, Mar 2, 2018.

1. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been employed since I have been 14 and only been fired once when I was 19 by my best friends dad who later hooked me up with a job in a Mitsubishi dealership 15 miles from the Diamond Star assembly plant in 1988
    that has defined almost all of the last 30 years of my career. I was a parts counterperson from 1988-1990, then a Mitsubishi parts dept manger for a new dealership owned by my same boss in Champaign that went to 1994 not before also becoming a Hyundai and Isuzu dealer. From 1994 to 1996 I became the service and parts manager at a new Hyundai dealership still owned by the same guy back in Bloomington till 1996 and again not before adding Nissan and Isuzu before I took over as the parts director at Parkway Dodge in late 1996 for still the same owner and worked there till 2005 when he was forced to sell that franchise to the bigger Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep dealer so I went back to the same store I worked in 1990-94 to become the Fixed operations director, fancy name for the guy who ran all the service and parts depts. But by now it was 2 separate stores, one was a Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Kia store, the other was a Toyota, Scion, VW, Mazda and Chrysler store. Over 200 employees combined and 82 of them were under my supervision and we were getting ready to move into what I called the biggest, badass frickin dealership in downstate Illinois. 45 acres and 5 different buildings, the taj mahal of dealers. This daily drive was 62 miles each way for 126 miles every day for almost 10 years. Loved my job hated the drive. In 2014 my bosses brother who was my manager back in the day offered me a job being the Fixed ops director for 3 individual stores, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia back home 15 miles from my house so after 26 straight years I quit one brother to work for the other. What I thought was going to be a cakewalk with 3 small stores with only a 1/3 of the employees turned out to be a frickin nightmare! After 2 1/2 solid years of BS my owner almost goes under then sells all 3 stores back to the brother he bought them from in 1999, me ex-boss! So I think this is great, my old boss who adores me buys up these stores, I got it made! Now my boss is now in his mid 60's, never at any of the stores, he is just basically the bankroll. My new manager/owner/partner is 15 years younger than me and I slowly see this trend of "out with the old, in with the new". Young guys 1/2 my age making barely 1/2 my wage are the new trend so on February 1 I found out my position was being "eliminated" and I had 30 days of employment left. I have gone thru the 7 stages of grief...shock & denial, pain & guilt, anger & bargaining, depression, etc... now I am just pissed. Today was my last day, 4 months shy of my 30 year anniversary with the O'Brien Auto Team. I owe everything I have to Joe O'Brien but I never heard from him today, my last day after all these years. I'm torn but screw it, I have no debt, cashed in a bit of my IRA account and paid off my house today, the only thing I didn't own outright. Now I am unemployed, able to collect unemployment with no actual debt, just property taxes, health insurance plus basic necessities.
    I have decided to take the month of March and maybe April off, going to go to Florida sometime in the next few weeks, work on a few thing including a big "honey-dew" list around the house and property.
    I think that I have earned it, thanks for listening, this is truly the only forum that I could ever vent my personal life out on and feel comfortable

70ZED and 78TypeLTCamaro like this.
  2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your job but you seem to be in good shape having no debt now. If you need a job, I’ve got a service manager and a parts manager at the dealership I work that I’d be happy to shoot to get you in. Hope all goes well for you.

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Yep, if anyone works for a large company, look around and see how many 50+ people are working. You get the picture. Cool story,except the end. I hope the next chapter is kick ass!

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Enjoy your time off. you'll make out in the end, you'll see.

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Harbone, I truly am sorry to hear your plight. However, as we all have said, karma is a bitch and never forgets. You are going to come out of this the better man and your former "family" will forever be looking over their shoulders. Glad you went thru the 7 stages without shooting their dealership to pieces. We're here for ya.

6. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Sounds like you have things in order though

Sucks the he never called you!!

carr911 and Buickfunnycar like this.
  7. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

We have met, you and I, back at the Gatornationals about 4 years ago. WE are similar in age and you have a great wife by your side. I believe that in a short time you will find this to be a blessing in disguise. your are smart and healthy, do something you enjoy now to stay busy and make a few bucks on the side. preferably CASH money.

8. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Sorry that hear this. 30 years with the same team is almost unheard of these days. Not getting a call from your employer thanking you for the years of service is disappointing but some people don't think about that. With the closing of this chapter of your life a new chapter will begin and you will be as good if not better in the end. Good luck to you.

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I walked away from dealership life back in 2014 after 25 years, don't miss it one bit. Just like you I owed nothing and I felt great after a couple of weeks. You will in time like being able to do what you like every day.

10. mlburk

mlburk Veteran Member

just started collecting my pension of 30 years . never was sure it would be there but so far so good. reinvesting it and welding /fabbing for next 8 years :):):)

largestar likes this.