End of an era...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by harbone66, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The company I work for used to be like that but about 10 years ago, it was taken over by a guy who actually tries to take care of the employees. It's not a charity, but he invests in the employees.

As for a company that hires younger people at less money, those usually don't do well over the long term. Yes, short term, profits go through the roof. Over time though, the "institutional memory" fades and the company will have to relearn mistakes that were made before. We had a hot shot foreman come in and want to change a loading process. I pointed out that we had done that back in 1980 and it ended up costing the company big bucks and loss of a major contract.

You'd be surprised at the problems the new company will have without you being there to save their cookies.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

I understand your disappointment as a similar situation happened to me many years ago. At that time my father told me "when one door closes another will open"......he was right.

largestar likes this.
  3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very sorry to hear this. I have been at my company for over 27 years, and understand the roots laid down. Mom and Pop place machine shop, starting to transition to the third generation. This one isn't anything like the previous generation though. I'll stop here, but feel for your side of it.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The end of one era but a new beginning for you.

Enjoy your time off and keep your eyes open for a better place.

Good Luck!

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Back when I was still a young Teen, My Dad was dropped like a hot rock along with all of his workers from Sealtest in Pittsburgh. His job was at the plant on Brownshill Rd in Pa. Sealtest was part of the Kraft Company and they just pulled out and tried to screw everyone out of their retirement. My dad had over 20 years in. Started at 19 yrs old. Accountant type. The employees had to collectively hire a Lawyer to go battle them in court. It took several years and they won but they did not get the full deal. Only partial. This was in the early 70's. So this kind of business practice is not new. You are nothing but a number to them. My Mom swore off any Sealtest or Kraft products after that. There were two Plants or area's of operation. The little one where my Dad worked most of the time and the corporate office that he occasionally went to. He used to drag us kids with him at times. We like to go with him to the little one B/C they made the Ice cream there. Eat all you want. Plus we used to get dry Ice to take home and play with. The Funny thing is Years later I went to Rosedale Tech for Auto Mech school to get my State Inspection License in Pa. That was a big deal back then. Before SASE came out. The School was the same building that my Dad worked at and I had been to many times growing up. They had a full service Diesel shop to maintain the Ice cream trucks. If any of you heard of Eric the car Guy, He went to that same school. Any way Those that get to put 30 yrs in are lucky to get to. Just have to hope that you can make it that long.

6. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My wife had these stashed in a drawer, these 6 cards cover almost 28 years. I never had business cards my first 2 years.
    20180303_071131.jpg

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Enjoy the time off, and look for something to do that you will enjoy, and if you had to work with the young people there were brought in, you would be either, over worked, trying to take care of things, or frustrated with their lack of knowledge, at least you are in a good position to move forward, have fun , be happy !!

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  8. xten

xten Veteran Member

I think it's human nature to feel the way you do, unless it's a "good riddance" situation. I'm sure in your time off, you'll be thinking about the future, and what's feasible and best for you. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Nothing will change" with the changing of the guards. Kiss of death. I worked in a Platinum PPG store as a trouble shooter for years. It's a good thing I kept my collision shop open. One day the big boss called me in to his office with a question about a decision that was already made. They were taking on another paint line. He asked me what I thought, and I told him he's having a going out of business sale and didn't even know it. Being a peon, my opinion didn't matter. Kinda showed me I was a little fish in a big pond. When PPG found out, they pulled their paint line, and the wheels fell off the store. Being from Pittsburgh, I knew there was no such thing as job security after seeing the immortal steel mills and all the spin-off businesses close. Devastating. I would have retired from that job. It was very satisfying helping people out of a jam. Just continue to look down the road. Good luck Chris.

largestar likes this.
  9. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hate to hear that. Glad you are dealing with it in a good way.
    I wish you the best and hope you enjoy your time and like others say you will find something you enjoy doing.
    Pretty much samething happened to me last year. 5 years away from retirement. Was let go in a "workforce reduction" after the company spent the year hiring people jn my department for half my salary and me training them.
    Again enjoy your time off and I know something good will pop up for you. You are good man and ton of great contacts.
    GL Chris!!!

10. largestar

largestar Member

Take your time and find a fit for you. Enjoy your life. Your history will allow you to negotiate a nice package with a new employer if you decide to work. I have a friend who went to Home Depot after a history similar to yours. They saw his history and said “you aren’t selling carpet”. He made an outrageous demand for a package and they bit. Good luck.