End of an era...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by harbone66, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear it man, but the industry is like that. I know you have a lot of pride on how you treated your people but unfortunately that's not the norm. I think it's extraordinary they gave you 30 days notice. Most places would have shown you the door right after the decision was made out of fear you would cause harm to the company. That alone shows they respected your integrity/professionalism.

Anyone that thinks they company "values them as a person" is straight out of touch any more. Employees are assets and will be disposed of whenever they are no longer useful/viable. Employees should have the same mindset. We work for the company, do the best job we can but when it no longer works out we move onto the next opportunity. It's business with them, it should be business with us.

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear they let you go like that. It wouldn't surprise me if your old boss doesn't even know you've been let go from the sounds of it. Take some time to kick back, relax and to quote a Monty Python movie..."Look at the bright side of life!"

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Man, I don't even know what to say.

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

If I learned nothing else from working at car dealerships, it's that you are only of any value to them when they feel they are getting more work from you than you are being paid to do. It wasn't always that way, but too many 'owners' are second generation that started at the top and have zero knowledge of what goes on 'in the trenches'. They hire mis-managers who are only out for themselves. They look for new ways to screw the customers as well as the sales team. If 6 salespeople are making a good living, they hire six more. They want to make everyone hungry so they are more aggressive. The stress and animosity level towards co-workers makes the job suck. I bailed and opened a business totally out of the automotive field.
    I'm surprised that, after all the years, that your longtime boss didn't take the time to see you on your last day. Maybe he knew he was being an a-hole for letting your job be eliminated, as he should.
    I hope that this is the beginning of a much better era in your life.

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  5. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Time will heal things for you. After our plant went through 4 mergers over the years, a 5th one came along and it was brutal. Our plant survived but the other side brought in their own people and I was out. Things have worked out and maybe I'll even live a little longer since I no longer have the stress and lifestyle I had had for years.
    Sounds like you're keeping your head up.

6. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dave - I view guys like us as more of a liability than an asset..... we cost the company too much. Heck, they've got a stack of applications and a line of guys outside the door waiting for our jobs, right? You know the kids with the online diploma from Carl's School of Cars are more attractive to an employer than 30+ year vets like us that understand things and FIRTFT, since they can pay Wondertech or Clownboy half of what we make.

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Spoken like a former flat rate tech. Welcome to the club...... the bar is open.

8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I was a service advisor, parts sales and last job, at a dealership, was used/new car sales.

9. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Scary at first but it all works out in the end Chris...trust me on that brother! You’ll be more than fine...enjoy your new life man...blessing in disguise!

10. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks again guys. If I can just do what I did today, every day I might not have to work at all. Saw an ad for a stainless steel ice chest on legs with wheels for $10 only 5 miles from my house. Wound out stumbling on a garage full of stuff the guy was selling off 10 years after his father had passed away. So I got am ammo box with 8 boxes of 115 grain 9mm rounds for $20, a set of Chevy Rally wheels in 15x8 & 15x7, set of old school slots 15x10 and 14x7 and a pair of 15x8.5 6 lug aluminum slots all for $20. Then 3 milk crates full of blue glass insulators about 60 in total and some old glass bottles for $10 and a couple of other mix and match tools, scales and a tow rope for $5
    Kind of feel the Maverick
    Cleaned everything up and stuck them on craigslist for some good prices. lets see what happens...
    20180304_120317.JPG 20180304_120333.JPG 20180304_120337.JPG View attachment 53620 20180304_123002.JPG 20180304_123013.JPG 20180304_151905.JPG 20180304_152122.JPG

Zstar likes this.