engine advice

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
not a camaro but my daughters 11 honda crv lost compession in #3 clyinder. 155000 miles was burning oil. does not knock like a rod came loose, but runs extremly rough. pulled cover does not look like a rocker issue. as per my mechanic(very trusted). engine replace, maybe a rebuild this mainly a budget issue.engine rebuildable? what do you guys think?

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
That's pretty low mileage for a well maintained honda motor. I personally dont think it is worth rebuilding. Find a good used engine from a scrap yard and pop it in.

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
yes i am thinking of that. but seeing the cost of used engines $$$ and time is a issue. i dont know if it is worth it try for a tear down just to get down the road and unload it or if its worth the cost of a used engine. or take a loss now.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Well Dad, what are your girls expectations and what do you feel are your obligations? If it’s my car I’m shopping for a replacement car if I’m not following Bikers recommendation.

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
it is my daughter i will try to help as much as possible. i am trying to come up with a solution. used engine has pros and cons? repair what is the cost? or take the loss and buy something else?

wnmech

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2014
grand prairie tx.
Have you ruled out a possible valve sticking open enough to cause your compression to be low? Try squirting some oil into that cylinder and then run the compression check again to see if the pressure goes up.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Have you ruled out a possible valve sticking open enough to cause your compression to be low? Try squirting some oil into that cylinder and then run the compression check again to see if the pressure goes up.
Yes! I assumed you knew it's something fatal. If you haven't diagnosed it, by all means make sure you pinpoint the exact problem. Could easily be something in the head, and your mechanic can replace or repair that.

And you are right. Always good to help your kids out with stuff like that so they dont get screwed over somehow.
My reasoning on replacing the engine is that it can be done in a day. Rebuild means it sits for at least a week while the engine gets rebuilt, and labour plus parts to rebuild would probably exceed the price of a used engine.
But, hopefully it is simple.

Last edited:

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
yes trying to get my cost options, used engine 1200 plus tax/shipping etc. labor to install? head rebuild? hard to get cost estimates and since i am not familar at all with fwd set ups and not set up to do any major repairs.having trouble finding info on it too. dealerwas quoting 130 an hour labor.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Well if the cost of getting it done exceeds the value of the car, its not worth doing. Sell it for what you can get and pick up something new (er).
Repair/replacing a cylinder head should be worth doing, but it sounds like replacing the engine is really only cost effective if you do it yourself.

Latest posts