engine advice

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Well if the cost of getting it done exceeds the value of the car, its not worth doing. Sell it for what you can get and pick up something new (er).
Repair/replacing a cylinder head should be worth doing, but it sounds like replacing the engine is really only cost effective if you do it yourself.
And once he pops the head off I’d be surprised if head work were all it needed. If a used engine isn’t a viable option my recommendation is sell it for what he can and buy something else. The plus on the used engine is he at least knows what he’s got with the rest of the car.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
And once he pops the head off I’d be surprised if head work were all it needed. If a used engine isn’t a viable option my recommendation is sell it for what he can and buy something else. The plus on the used engine is he at least knows what he’s got with the rest of the car.
Exactly. Buying another used car buys you a whole bunch more unknowns that may just cost more money. I have bought and fixed and driven beaters all my life, and dollar-wise, it's worth it to me. But even I look at new stuff now with zero percent financing and I'm tempted. If it were for my daughter, peace of mind is worth a lot knowing it wont break down and if it does, its covered. Depending of course on what she uses it for. Buzzing around town to school and shopping etc, no biggie. If she needs to rely on it for any distance, work trips etc, nice to have something reliable.

T/A Tom

Apr 29, 2019
yes i am thinking of that. but seeing the cost of used engines $$$ and time is a issue. i dont know if it is worth it try for a tear down just to get down the road and unload it or if its worth the cost of a used engine. or take a loss now.
I just picked up an ‘04 CR-V with 138k on it for my daughter.
I’m fortunate to have a buddy who’s a master Honda tech and in his experience these things commonly run to 300k with no major issues. He says the most common problem in the Depending on the overall condition of the car it might be worth a weekend of work to swap engines.
I’ll ask him about your specific problem and get back to you
*Sorry for rambling on about the early models, didn’t see that yours is an ‘11.*
Texted the expert and waiting for a reply

Last edited:

T/A Tom

Apr 29, 2019
I just picked up an ‘04 CR-V with 138k on it for my daughter.
I’m fortunate to have a buddy who’s a master Honda tech and in his experience these things commonly run to 300k with no major issues. He says the most common problem in the Depending on the overall condition of the car it might be worth a weekend of work to swap engines.
I’ll ask him about your specific problem and get back to you
*Sorry for rambling on about the early models, didn’t see that yours is an ‘11.*
Texted the expert and waiting for a reply
Ok...my Honda tech buddy says it’s likely stuck rings and he referred me to TSB 12-089; “replace pistons and rings”. Seems like Honda has done a lot of that work, mainly on the 3.5 V-6 with cylinder deactivation. Hope this helps!

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
thanks for that advice i am hoping to confirm n the next day or so. found a shop that specializes in hondas. they seem to think along the same lines but wont know till he gets into it. i think one shop said around 16 hours labor to replace and 12 to 16 to re ring.

T/A Tom

Apr 29, 2019
thanks for that advice i am hoping to confirm n the next day or so. found a shop that specializes in hondas. they seem to think along the same lines but wont know till he gets into it. i think one shop said around 16 hours labor to replace and 12 to 16 to re ring.
You’re welcome, glad to help. I know for sure that my friend has done many of the V-6 repairs. They drop everything out through the bottom, hone and install new pistons and rings. It’s an 8 hour job for techs who are used to doing it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
My wife's 4 cyl CRV did the same thing. VVT valve and oil change and it was good. Have you scanned it? Is it overdue for an oil change?

T/A Tom

Apr 29, 2019
My wife's 4 cyl CRV did the same thing. VVT valve and oil change and it was good. Have you scanned it? Is it overdue for an oil change?
That’s a really good suggestion. I was wondering about the VVT valves/lifters. That would be much better problem to have. That technology is wonderful, when it’s working.
My brother has a beautiful ‘15 Corvette with 22k on it. He takes meticulous care of it and never abuses it. Out of nowhere it started banging when he put it in drive (8 speed auto) and would buck and search for gears on the highway. He bought a $250 module that plugs into the OBD2 port and eliminates the cylinder deactivation. Problem solved. Car is smooth as silk now. No excuse for that happening on any car, let alone a $70k+ sports car...