Engine Compartment Ideas

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Sunny Z/28, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

With a nice Big Block under the hood like that, most won't notice anything else anyway.

Looks Killer under there Jodi.

KingofThings, Jodi and Sunny Z/28 like this.
  3. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

my buddy paints them all black .he is a real heat nut.says black dissipates heat the best.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

5. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Here's mine. Not a big fan of chrome in an engine so went the orange/ black direction. Just dropped the car off for paint yesterday, hope to have it back before Thanksgiving. 20201007_152630.jpg

6. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

Uncluttered, looks tight and nice. What color is the car to be painted?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

First of all, if you're doing things to your taste, rather than being "correct" for the year, let 'er Rip! We have a '79 Z/28 with a Goodwrench Crate 350, painted orange, aluminum intake, Holley 750, aluminum valve covers, etc. Our '73 has a 377 with Tony Mamo aluminum heads, and many of the more common modifications. I have found that Duplicolor Low Gloss Black is a great rattle-can version of the stock underhood black. The '73 also has flange head stainless bolts in nearly all locations under the hood and in the wheelwells. The engine uses ARP stainless 12-point bolts. I am attaching shots of each engine compartment, the Z is in primer in this shot, the '73 is Burgundy pearl. The brackets on the '73 are ICT brand, good quality aluminum.
    IMG_0615.JPG IMG_2341.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. FooFighter

FooFighter New Member

[​IMG] Here is the beginning of what mine is going to look like. I'm not planning on putting any chrome in my engine bay. There will be some polished aluminum. The car is already pretty clean so I did not want to have to strip down the firewall and repaint it so I put the aluminum clad heat shield over it. The heat shield will (of course) reduce heat and noise and I think it looks better than looking at a factory firewall. Factory firewalls have random globs or rubberized tar splattered around on them and it looks terrible. I don't know what the purpose of it was other than to maybe be an anti vibration material like lizard skin. That stuff is really hard to get off the firewall and your not going to get it off the firewall without stripping the paint, so I covered over it with this insulation. Cutting and shaping this insulation with the wiring still sticking through the firewall was a monumental task that is too much to explain here. I'm just going for a clean engine bay, everything painted. It is going to have a color theme in that this is a black 81 Z28 with the red stripes so I'm going to make the engine block black with a red oil pan and red valve covers and a red distributor. In my opinion don't worry about changing your engine bay from stock. I love these cars but they are never going to be worth a fortune like some exotic Ferrari so have fun with it! Keeping it stock is not going to increase its value by thousands because they just aren't rare cars. I do "get it" when it comes to the original stock look, but if you don't like the stock look and want to swap a bigger engine or change the paint scheme then "Go For It". My boundaries where I draw the line is I'm not going to chop up body panels or cut holes. I would be open to the idea of a mini tub though, but that would be like one of the very last things I might do to a car after all else. The subframe is gloss POR 15 gray, I should have used the flat or semi gloss but not gonna change just for that. Sway bar and steering linkage is POR 15 Gloss black also. I'll upload more as I get more done. Definitely mix it up a little, don't paint or make everything the same color, use varying shades of the same color for different parts.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Scott51 and KingofThings like this.
  9. CHEVYCARSDUDE

CHEVYCARSDUDE Member

Custom but stock look. IMG_20150905_090250.JPG IMG_1732.jpg IMG-20150905-090301.JPG IMG_20150905_090250.JPG IMG_1732.jpg IMG-20150905-090301.JPG IMG_20150905_090250.JPG IMG_1732.jpg

DLY, dcozzi, Proximity_Alert and 2 others like this.
  10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yes, seen that many times, I work on some crazy nice stuff....now block lightning in all areas, inside and out...fully massaged and profiled is common....NO paint to speak of, bare block....it's crazy what some people do to find an edge. Saw that first hand in CUP way back.

KingofThings likes this.