Engine Compartment Ideas

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Sunny Z/28, Oct 7, 2020.

1. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

my block is black, but on the next motor maybe silver

IMG_20200822_180315.jpg

2. stjimmy55

stjimmy55 New Member

73 Type LT. Obviously not finished but I went with a black and machined aluminum theme. The block is painted 2011 Dodge Challenger Mango Tango Pearl as is the stripe on the car. 6314.jpeg received_380020103166834 (1).jpeg

3. MLMski

MLMski New Member

Mine is essentially leftovers from another engine with a few changes. Went with the red/orange engine paint on the block and the valve covers (originally they were black) DSCF3627.JPG DSCF3643.JPG Not on the engine only... I thought it would also look good on the old-school 2001 Rockford Fosgate amps.

dcozzi and stjimmy55 like this.
  4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Used to race vintage motorcycles, and even from-the-factory-racebikes from the '60's would have absurdly heavy components. I valued originality and used those parts, but a lot of guys that were building front-runner contenders would go to extremes to save weight, down drilling out bolts and running the frame bare metal. I'd always laugh at those guys as extreme until one day I was painting a frame using rattle cans. A small frame would require two cans of paint, and running to the store to grab a couple, I realized that two larger cans of paint we're on the better side of a couple pounds, and that really hit it home that if you took care of the ounces, the pounds took care of themselves. Lol, I still painted frames, because at my level, I saved more weight taking a dump in the morning.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yep, how about small head, hollowed out/gun drilled Titanium bolts, like for headers and glued on intake manifold with 2 of those bolts holding it down....crazy stuff....love it.

6. amargari

amargari Veteran Member

I forget which high end car builder said it, but they imagine the engine compartment to be like a jewelry box with engine being the jewelry. The rest of the compartment should fade into the background or focus you towards the engine. When I did my engine compartment, I followed a few rules. Hide as many wires, hoses, etc that you can. Fill or hide any unnecessary holes in the firewall, fenders, etc. Try and keep a theme going for colors, fasteners etc. The little things add up. Nice fender bolts with nice washers aren't overly expensive, but really tie everything together.

IMG_20171021_154200.jpg

BillyDean7173, DLY, dcozzi and 5 others like this.
  7. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I'm going with Shadow Grey Metallic a current Camaro color.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Left mine pretty basic. I would have liked to get rid of some of the EZ-EFI wiring and fuel lines on the passenger side though but, it is what it is.
    20200111_185633.jpg

9. DLY

DLY Member

Would love to show you a picture of mine, however, it's still in process. A couple of basic themes find their way into all of my vehicles, however... First, I always paint the underside of my hood body color. Have seen several guys doing that in this thread, and I like it. I'll go ahead and put the insulator on, but the bottom of the hood, and the fenders will be body color. I USUALLY paint the inner fenders body color as well, but am using black on my Camaro build. Just seems better to me. I also smooth all of the firewall that makes sense to do, leaving the stock location for the fuse box, e-brake cable, booster, etc... But the passenger side is usually smooth. I even got a Rain Gear wiper set up for this build so the wiper motor is inside the airbox with the wiper transmission arms. Makes the compartment very smooth. Just what I like. I may throw a little orange in there (valve covers), but am leaning towards black engine, black breather, and just body color. Pic of the truck engine compartment for comparison, however the Camaro has a small block and the fender liners will be black...

6B493A62-D413-497A-992C-24387281A2E0.jpeg

10. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Zspoiler, where did you get the underhood insulation for your cowl hood?