Engine help please!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Johnboy9914, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

Great info Damon!!! The block had casting number 14093638. When I pulled the timing cover I found the cam to be a Comp Cam with grind number 260H12. The top of the pistons are (what I call) double D's (stamped with number H423NP 020, I haven't looked those up yet). They look like two sets of D's (4 total) back to back, probably the dished pistons you're referring to. Thanks.

2. Darknight

Darknight Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They might be the stepped port heads and I remember reading somewhere on a third gen board that really around .460 lift on some of the efi heads you run into coil bind. so check all that out. Supposedly all the efi heads were big on .300-.400 air movement for torque, so thats at least a good seat puller with a tiny cam to use it. But it wont touch a vortec or aftermarket design. If you can get a cheap set of camel humps and dont need the bolt holes thats a good option.

The rpm intake takes about 10 minutes to modify, use a 5/16 carbide tip and grind the outer edge of the bolt holes straight down to line up to the threads. Then take a 1/4-3/8 inch space and cut it at a 45degree angle i believe and put that under the bolt and it will snug down on the intake just fine. Professional products makes a rpm type that has adapter spacers to use on 87 up heads. cyclone plus i think, might be wrong on the name.

you can also drill the holes out and tap with helicoils to correct angle,

3. BigAls87Z28

BigAls87Z28 Veteran Member

I got a cheap set of the B2L heads, and I wanted just a little heads up on the 2104 Ede intake. Looks like a good intake match up for the TPI heads, no? Idle to 5500rpm range, matches pretty close to the stock specs of the 083's.
    I dont know my cam specs, but the 882 heads I have on now are no good. I wanted to upgrade, and these presented themselves before me. I think that this will do well for now untill more money can be put into the motor.

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

PDQ- you're right, 64cc hceads were rare as hen's teeth for about 15 years or so during the dark days of emissions. When GM started going fuel injection on things (the TPI engines leading the charge, with successively better engines to follow) you actually started seeing small chamber heads again, and some compression ratios that were at least not horrible. With the control fuel injection gave them GM could now meet emissions without huge open chambers and dismal compression ratios. Plus, higher compression helps fuel economy, which was also one of their goals.

I used to work on TPI motors quite a bit back in the day.

I forgot to mention, above, that the stock valves in 083 heads were 1.94/1.50.

Agreed, with a modest cam and a Performer intake plus those heads on a 350 you will have a pretty nice street driver.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  5. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

are those 083 heads the curly q swirl port types?? if so,, stay very small with the cam as said. if it's them,, they'll peter out after about 3500-4000rpms anyway. but very good low speed torque and milage.

with all the bottom end and cruise range torque those heads made,, all the grandpa's would always say they're "peppy".
    andy

6. BigAls87Z28

BigAls87Z28 Veteran Member

I have my heads and just got my intake in today. I hope that the weather would warm up around here so I could put this together, but I guess Ill have to wait till i get a warm day off....