engine oil capcity

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fc7_plumcrazy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. fc7_plumcrazy

fc7_plumcrazy New Member

thanks again for all the answers
    Question/problem has been solved

Carsten

2. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

yup ... but tricky on old RX rotaries ... spin-on filter sets atop motor ... thread-side down.

[​IMG]

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Definitely cant do it with that one! That's when it's nice to have an accumulator to dump on startup.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I always run the engine to warm the oil before draining.

There’s still a film of oil on all the moving parts when it’s restarted after filling.

Not saying filling the new oil filter is a bad thing but I don’t think it’s critical.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Agreed, There is still a film there, but considering all the hand wringing that goes on over oil pressure and dry starts etc, the time it takes to fill the filter just makes me feel better. You can see a delay on the gauge if u dont fill the filter. Or, u can see the pressure light stay on longer.
    A cool thing about the harley shovelhead and evo motors is that the oil is filtered after it goes through the engine. What I do on those is fill the oil tank, start the bike with no filter and let it run till I see clean oil coming out of the filter adapter. Nice way to flush all the old oil out.

sandlapper likes this.
  6. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

The idea with draining your oil while it is warm or hot is the oil will retain contaminates that is will not if its cold, so you drain more of the bad stuff out......
    Also, many years ago, I read that prefilling an oil filter was a good way to add contaminates to your fresh oil... Its been a long time since I saw that article and I cannot remember exactly how that happens, so forgive me.. I do remember thinking BS and I continued to prefill mine if possible... I do make sure every thing is clean and keep the filter in its box until I am ready to use it.....

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Since 1973 I’ve been draining my oil after a drive and prefilling the oil filter before installation without problems.

T/A Tom likes this.
  8. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Red70Z

Anybody ever notice on your daily driver oil changes - like my Tahoe - always seem to drain out 3 1/2 qts and put back 5....with a tiny filter...the oil angels take their share. The jug to recycle is never full

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Ensineering failures like that are the reason filter manufacturers had to add anti-drainback valves in filters. If an engine is designed by better engineers, the filter sits closed end down and doesn't need anti-drainback valves.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Chevys LS engines are known to suck oil through the PVC....on a 3000+ OCI, you will probably easily lose 1/2 quart.