engine oil capcity

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fc7_plumcrazy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

If you are lucky. The 6.0 in my 05 pickup is an awesome engine, but will easily suck up 3 or more litres between oil changes. It's going through the pcv which is built into the drivers side valve cover. There are home fixes for it, but a clean, updated new valve cover will fix it too. I dont drive it much, but I will tackle the valve cover this summer.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

My Tacoma V6 had a top down filter and I don't hear too much about that engine being a " engineering" failure....
    EASY oil change.. It had a "bowl" that surrounded the bottom ( the upside down top actually) with a little drain hole to catch the oil with NO mess.. I kinda liked it...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

My sister's turbocharged Audi uses over a litre between changes. At the time I was sure something was wrong, but apparently that's normal! I couldn't believe that in this day and age, any easily measurable consumption was acceptable, but the cake-taker is my neighbors chev Equinox. That load burns through a about 2 litres by 2/3 of the normal oil change schedule. They've been battling with Chevrolet, who did an oil consumption test and pronounced it normal. I love old chevs, but after witnessing that, I'll never buy a new GM product!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    KingofThings likes this.
  4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember changing the oil for the first time in my wife's (34 years ago while we were dating) Dart with a slant 6.....I thought.. who puts the filter upside down? Gee Thanks Dodge! Messy oil change when you unscrew that upside down filter, but I guess the majority of the oil runs back to the pan when the engine isn't running.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The car I learned to drive in... 65 Ford, 240 straight 6, had a sideways filter.
    It didn't make a big mess removing it but you couldn't fill a new filter before you installed it.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

And a very light film of oil on the gasket.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

The owner of a NAPA store once told me " filters are designed to filter, NOT be an oil reservoir"... This was after I harassed him about his little bitty NAPA filters... Of course I was one of those anal doobs that used those giant truck filters on my small block chevy's......

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

CLEAN oil on the gasket....

KingofThings likes this.
  9. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Good point. I assumed it would be clear, thanks for clarifying.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

I have been tempted a few times lying under the car to dip my finger in the OLD DIRTY oil to wipe the filter gasket I forgot to put CLEAN oil on... The older I get the harder it is to get up and down and under a car anymore..

M1 Master Gunner and biker like this.