engine oil capcity

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fc7_plumcrazy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oil... On the gasket? :crazy:

I just make sure the old gasket came off the engine and spit on the new one.

Just kidding. ;)

2. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

yup
    also had a Ford pickup w/ L6 240 (tough as nails) ... sideways filter FL1A w/ ADBV
    and several Ford modular OHC 4.6 V8 ... sideways filter FL820S w/ ADBV
    I do fill 'em regardless; and clean off what little does spill out.

right or wrong, me thinks capillary action might pull oil from sbc/bbc ... I opt for the ADBV; just in case .... belt & suspenders can't hurt

your car, YMMV

3. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Should be 4qts in the pan and another 1/2-1gt in the filter, depending on filter size.
    I would pour 4 qts on the engine, fill the filter with oil, run it for a minute. Then shut it off and let it sit for 15-30 minutes, check the oil level and top off if necessary and you’ll be fine. Should be exactly 5qts with the larger filter, ie Wix 51061. Personally I oils change the filter regardless of how old it is. We’re only talking 8 bucks...
    Just my opinion, hope it helps!

fc7_plumcrazy likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

:eek::(

5. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

Had no idea...no Toymotor's for me. ;)

6. severum17

severum17 Member

I had a long PF35 filter on my small block Chevelle. Had a small rock puncture the bottom of the filter. BIG smoke, undercoated and lubed the bottom of the car and you cant imagine how fast it emptied all the oil at 50 MPH. I thought I lost the motor, but a new filter and 5 quarts later I was on my way.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A doubled filter gasket will make a huge mess too.
    I was getting gas at a service station and the woman who just had her oil changed was backing out of the service bay leaving a heavy oil trail across the lot.
    Thankfully, she noticed the oil pressure light was on and stopped before she hit the street.

The "service technician" :rolleyes: who had performed the oil change didn't check to be sure the old gasket was with the old filter before installing a new one.
    Two rubber oil filter gaskets will slide off center to each other and the oil pump lubes the lot.

The worst part of it, for me... I had to drive my Camaro through that oil slick to leave the station. :(

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

This was a big problem in the very early years of the SBC before the spin on filters and a cartridge type of filter was being used.. It was difficult to get out the old gasket..

KingofThings likes this.
  9. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

A bit unrelated, all this talk of oil capacity put me in mind of a incident. Years ago, at the Canadian Tire, I parked next to a woman with a big chev, something like a Denali, with the hood up. She was practically climbed into the engine bay and was putting oil in the engine. When she saw me, she asked if I knew how much oil this thing took, since shed already put two 1-gallon jugs in. She had bought one to top it off, but when she couldn't see the oil "come up to the top", she went in and bought another, and then another. I suggested she not start it and go into the service centre to see what they could do to help!

I wonder how much she could have got in there, and what would have happened on start up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

That reminds me of why I have been single the last 27 years and my Favorite song, " I am woman hear me roar"..... LOL....

KingofThings likes this.