Engine problems

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by linenoise, Feb 12, 2015.

1. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Guys, I have had my 1970 SS numbers matching camaro sitting in my garage for around 20 years. Just real busy with work and always going to work on it later. Anyways I always try to start her up once a month or so. We about a year or two ago I tried to start it and it would not turn over. I always had trouble turning this car over since I bought it, sometimes in a parking lot I would have to wait for it to cool down before it would turn over. I tried to charge up the battery real good and leave it on 40A while turning it over. I heard the started bounce off the ring gear. I thought well it is locked now.
    A month ago I pulled out the engine. it will turn with a long breaker bar but it is not easy. No crunching sounds.
    Took out spark plugs, same thing.
    Took off the heads. No issues in any of the cyl. boars. Clean as it gets.
    so I bolted the heads back on and took off the crank caps. No real issues on bearings. look warn out but nothing like a spun bearing.
    With the heads off it was still pretty tough to turn. I would think it would turn easy with just the valve train.
    Next I took off the timing chain. it now spins. so did I throw a cam bearing? Never heard of that. I am going to take it in to be rebuilt in the next couple weeks. Just wanted to get thoughts on this situation.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No such thing as "throwing" a cam bearing, they're one piece and encased in the cam tunnel. You could have galled one or more journals from lack of oil and remember that the oil pump and distributor run off the cam, so either of those could be causing this.

If it's going in for a rebuild soon, they'll find out what the problem is.

3. linenoise

interesting. Did not think about the pumps. I will have to look up the journal galling since I have never heard of that one.

4. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

You should of took out the dist. an spun the oil pump with a long slotted rod on a drill. Hind sight is 20/20. I always come up with a solution after I've ripped something apart. How does the cam turn with no chain? Cam bearings hardly ever go bad as the cam turns at half the speed of the crank. Old oil that has turned into a glue like state? That same kind of oil inside the lifters? That might of been the problem.You know that the lifters "have" to go back to the same hole they came out of. It should take less than 40 ft. lbs. of torque to turn the engine without the push rods in it. Since the heads are off I'd hose down all of the cylinders with penetrating oil, then see if it spins more better, drain it out also. Ever seen those shows on Velocity like Chasing Classic Cars where that old man that works for Wayne just hoses down the cylinder on a locked up motor with WD 40 an gets them running. They he doesn't do a dam thing else to them a sells the car for a couple hundred grand......

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd look at your starter first. A high compression like that originally had a heavy duty starter and with that starter in good condition, it should spin the engine fast. If your starter has been replaced with a light duty starter, or your heavy duty starter needs a rebuild, the engine won't turn over very well.

6. linenoise

All good points. I had thought of the starter. I was a dumbarse when I was young and pulled the original matching number starter off thinking that was it. Replaced it with a new regular start not knowing original one was stronger and also came in the ss chevelles. Hard to find. Took me years to find another one with the right date and model codes. It needs a rebuild worse than the motor and the weaker starter was the one I used the whole time I had it. Original starter did the same thing with hot starts. But it would always turn it over on the charger the the least. Probably a combination of that starter and the bad oil. I am going to take it to a local machine shop who I talked with today. I had a hard time finding someone who would do the rebuild and promise not to take off the numbers if it needs decked. Old guy in the last shop looked at me funny and said that's no problem, just stop milling. I usually use Western engine in denver but they could not save the numbers if it needed to be decked so they lost business.
    I will update when they figure out what the problem is.

7. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

You don't have to deck a block to make it square and 45ยบ from the cam/ crank centerline to rebuild an engine.
    The decks worked fine for 40+ years, if reasonably flat, they will work another 40 years.
    If the crankshaft spins freely in the mains, it doesn't need line honed either.
    You are rebuilding a stock or even warmed over street engine you don't have to have a block that is perfect with the world, it just has to be in a usable condition. Boring +.030" and honing with TQ plates and Mains installed is a great idea as round cylinders are what you are after.

Glad you found a shop that will at least look it over before just doing work that may or may not be really all that necessary.

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

There was a time that they started putting plastic shimes in ,around, the bendex . on a lot of starters , mostly rebults . I had this problem on a 301 cu. in. with a 30-30-soid left cam. The plastic shem would get hot and swell up or wrankel. Would start up hard cold and when I turned it off warmed up it would not turn over at all untill it cooled off . Headers wear close to starter also. Look in at what is around the bendex and replace the shem around it ,if it is plastic replace with a pice of metal, if already metal sand it smother with 400 or 600 grit paper, Just a thought maybe,,, A 301 was what hot roders built from 283's and 327 , befor the 302 came out .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

Bad springs? stuck lifters? stuck valve? If everything is moving with the cam out the only other components that move are these things