Engine Rebuilders Tag

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TruckDoc, Aug 10, 2019.

1. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

Trying to ID rebuilders tag found on BBC. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Starts out like this, BBC 454 from a motor home, stamped is CSS which comes back as a 72 vet 270hp 390tq, but found on the left side of the block is a rebuilders tag, that I am wanting to decode somehow to see just what has been done to engine other than what is stated on the tag. Here is what I have Block Casting 361959 Head Casting 14081045 (open chamber Oval Port) intake casting 340218. What I have been able to dig up so far, shows it should be a dished piston truck engine rebuild, but when I look into the cylinder bore(bore scope) I see flat top pistons with small valve reliefs. I really didn't want to take engine all the way apart as its a good running(dry. No leaks) engine. I am planning a cam change and maybe intake depending on what I can find out about the rebuild. Thanks for any help. Curt

2. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

That tag is a GM tag , it denotes a GM 454 Long block replacement engine .

Basically a GM over the counter replacement engine, I've used many with no issues to speak of.

361959 is a desirable block to start with , probably 2 bolt , but no worries there .

14081045 is a small oval (Peanut) head , that engine with a small cam and those heads would be a tire frying beast .

Don't get sucked into more cylinder head / more cam / etc .....

If you want a good all around performer that'll cruise all day on pump gas , you have it.

TOM

3. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

Thank you for your information. I plan to just bump the cam a bit and good intake and headers. Again thanks for your help. Curt

4. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

Be sure to check retainer to guide clearance with the cam you choose , from GM those heads will be all over the place so check them all.

Good luck with the project.

TOM