Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Dale K, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Dale K

Dale K New Member

Hello, new to the thread. I have a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am with a worthless 301 non turbo in it. I have been on several Pontiac threads and have asked these question with no answers. I want to swap out the 301 with a 350 or 383 chevy (Pontiac builds are to much money). Question 1. Will it drop in with out changing motor mounts and is there fitment issues? 2. Can I use the TH 350 in it already or is a Pontiac TH 350 different than a chevy TH 350? 3. Can I use any of the 301 pullies on the Chevy engine. I'm a chevy guy at heart but my wife wanted a trans am. Thanks Dale

2. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I have done this swap

We swapped the motor mounts
    We grabbed a chevy th350
    and installed a new accessory system (the one on the 301 was junk)

But it is possible, don't let people tell you it isn't

Dale K likes this.
  3. Dale K

Dale K New Member

The Accessory system on this one is in good shape. Thanks for the info!!!

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ

I believe your transmission is a Buick Olds Pontiac (BOP) bell housing pattern. Someone with more knowledge should be along soon.

Dale K likes this.
  5. Fme

Fme Member

Hi Dale,
    Your wife has good taste. Replacing a P301 to a sbc is very easy. The sub frame is almost identical. The only issue you would have is the air filter base is different to get the hood scoop to bolt on unless you car is turbo and has a turbo hood. You didn't mention. The trans has a different bolt pattern. With the amount of stuff you have to change you should consider an LS swap. A donor truck with a stock 5.3 will out perform any stock 400 Pontiac motor. It is a little more expensive than a sbc swap but well worth it and you need so much stuff anyway. The key is a donor vehicle so you get the trans, wiring harness and pulleys.

Dale K likes this.
  6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

What about a Ram Air IV 400.

Dale K likes this.
  7. Fme

Fme Member

Find one...
    Jodi,
    I have been racing Pontiacs for over 40 years. You want to get technical? What about a Ram Air IV?
    Right now I have a 6.0 LS with bigger intake ports(factory untouched) than any big block chevy ever produced. The power power out of these little engines(LS) is ridiculous! Factory recommended redline of 6800 and that's completely 100% stock. Not high performance engines either. Try that with a Ram Air IV (stock rods), you'll run over the crank!

Back to the subject, a 5.3 transplant in the OP's car will run and drive like it never did...

Dale K likes this.
  8. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Dude... sorry you took my respond that way, but that wasn't my intention. You made a statement and I asked a question based on that statement. That's all.
    Like you, I've been around cars and racing scene for a long time (probably just as long as you have) but my quest for learning never stop. I thought I was going to learn something from you, that's all.

Ram Air IV is no different than saying LS engine IMHO and is hardly being technical.

6.0 LS vs BBC Gen V (casting #088) intake port size... which one is bigger? again not being technical here (I try to leave that part at work.)

Dale K likes this.
  9. Fme

Fme Member

Sorry you took it that way lol. If the 6.0 is a gen IV than the ports are bigger than BB if its an LS 7 they're even bigger. Gen IV are not cathedral port they're rectangle. An LS3 will put out 450HP all day long at 376ci and wind to the moon., The baddest 454 of the day all aluminum ZL1 put out 450HP, but more like 425. Look, I'm Pontiac guy through and through, but it's hard to beat these things.

Dale K likes this.
  10. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

ls swap will be expensive and a lot of work. A good 383 will make tons of torque and the cost is more reasonable. Yes ls engines are awesome not saying that. Any engine you can do a cam swap for almost 100 h.p. is great and there bullet proof.so is a well built 383.$ for$ unless you can do all the wiring and cutting to fit a ls in.stay with a 383 or 350.lets not get into them horse power numbers either. horse power sells engines torque wins races.and the bigger the holes the faster you go!!!!!lol

Dale K likes this.