Engine turns over, but will not start!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Danz66ss, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Danz66ss

Danz66ss Member

My new 383 build was run started for break in. Car ran fine until one day. Had backfires and ran like crap. Took the cap off and replaced the rotor...replaced the coil with a MSD unit. Now it simply wont run! It is a DUI crossfire distributor. The engine cranks real good but will not fire! HELP!

2. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

what kind of MSD? What year car?

3. Danz66ss

Danz66ss Member

We replaced the DUI HEI coil, thinking it was not working up to par. I put in a MSD 8225 coil as it was available at our local speed shop. We replaced the rotor as well. Turns over like it should start, but does not fire up. We tried turning the distributor in numerous advance/retard posititions...no luck. Just took it to a local show last week. Something changed big time to this point.

4. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you verified that it's getting fire to the plugs, and that it's in the proper order? I've always been leery of those Crossfire caps. I'd try a standard cap, make sure you get the wires in proper firing order.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you fused the msd box then check fuses. Otherwise I’d bypass the box and see if it fires. My test procedure on the box is to place the coil wire close to gnd then turn the key on but don’t start it, take the white trigger wire and touch a gnd. If spark jumps from the coil wire each time the white wire touches gnd then the box is good.

biker likes this.
  7. dickeymoore

dickeymoore Veteran Member

Are you getting fuel?

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I would break out the ohm meter and check to see if it is getting power where it needs to be.

9. DPOK

DPOK New Member

A long time ago, my neighbor told me to first break it into thirds. It needs fuel, fire and timing. First figure out which one of those is the problem, then break that down.
    CorkyE asked if you are getting fire to the plugs (#2), and in the proper order (#3) and dickeymoore asked about fuel (#1). For me, the two easiest to verify are fuel and fire. To verify fuel if it is carbureted, I pour a small amount (about 10cc) of fuel directly in the carb and see if it will run for a second or two. To verify fire, harbor freight sells a light that goes between a spark plug and a wire for about $15 or you can connect a timing light if you have one.

Cardinal likes this.
  10. DennisG

DennisG Member

The spark plug wires are not connected to fire 180 degrees off are they? I saw a small block chevy run weakly a quqrter mile with banging in the exhaust it finally blew a monster smoke ring 20 feet across the street with a big bang and stopped. Towed back to the shop, wires were reversed it started immediately and settled down to a smooth idle.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021