Engine won’t start

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Jerry M, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Hey, I have a weird problem. My 305 was running great about two-three weeks ago, no problems starting and staying running. Now when I try to start it, it just cranks and won’t fire up. We checked, timing is right, we are getting spark, we have plenty of fuel and it’s getting into the manifold no problem. What could be causing this to happen? Compression could be a problem I guess, but what would cause the compression to just disappear when letting it sit for a bit?

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

What year and is the fuel getting to the carb? If you pump the throttle do you see fuel squirt inside the carb or is it F.I.? Might try a squirt of starting fluid or fuel down the carb or Throttle body.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

She is Just pissed cause you have ignored her for too long.... LOL...

4. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

It’s an 81, no computer, with a carb. Fuel squirts. We have tried starting fluid, not even a pop. I got it to run for about 5 minutes making sure rpm was high enough to warm up engine. It died on its own. While cranking, giving it gas seems to kill it, you can hear pops and attempts to start, but as soon as I press the gas, they all stop and it’s nothing but cranking.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Not sure about that spark. maybe bad coil. At my house I can take a complete distributor from a a running car and put it on my problem car.

water n the gas?

6. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Brand new gas, sitting in a garage, hei distributer that is brand new

edit: spark is bright and white

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fouled plugs?
    Cracked distributor cap?

8. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Plugs are good as well, and distributer is less than 50 miles old, cap is not cracked.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Check the Firing order. How about does it have an EGR Valve? Is it stuck open? If it does have an EGR, Try holding your foot to the floor and crank. WOT is one way it might start. But it will stall right away if you take your foot off the gas. IDK good luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Make sure you got good fuel when you pump the throttle. Look down into the throttle with the engine off and pump it. Should be a good solid stream coming out. Don't do this with the motor running or you could burn off all the hair on your face if it backfires.
    The 3 things I always think of are spark fuel and air.
    Besides the obvious stuff, some things that often get over looked (and I am guilty) are spark problems include timing, not just spark. And air problems include exhaust/catalytic converter and timing, not just intake air and compression.
    If you are getting a loud gun shot type backfire its almost always spark related. Fuel problems tend to be chugging or sort of coughing type of back fire, but rarely loud bangs or fire shooting back out of carb.

I'm guessing you have a fuel problem, or possibly a bad HEI coil. If you still have a cat I wouldn't rule that out.