Not open for further replies.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Armed raids seem a little excessive :rolleyes:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/epa-armed-agents-raids-car-105500071.html

""We didn't know anything was going to happen, and I wasn't at the office yet, but my coworkers and my dad were here," Lund told the Washington Examiner."

"So were the EPA agents, who cornered his father. The elder Mr. Lund calmly got out of his car to be patted down by an armed EPA agent wearing soft armor."

"“It was 12 armed federal agents, and they had little EPA badges on and everything. I come in about 10 minutes later, and there was one agent out there,” Lund said. “He walked me in, and they had a search warrant for conspiracy to sell defeat devices. They basically went around the building, and they did forensics — physical forensics, digital forensics on the laptops, and we were compliant.”"

"Following the EPA’s December National Compliance Initiative, which focuses on manufacture, sale, and installation of emissions “defeat devices,” the agency targeted the high-performance auto industry, sometimes deploying armed agents to slap heavy fines on violators."
"“I think it’s insane that over 40 executive branch agencies have police forces. The EPA shouldn’t be able to raid anything or anybody,” Rep. Thomas Massie, a Kentucky Republican, and co-sponsor of the RPM Act, told the Washington Examiner."

FreedomPenguin

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
It affected my mustang community hard. After that everyone sold off all the Catless exhaust systems, cobb tubing made ghost changes to everyone’s tunes without any update notes reducing power and emissions. A lot of dirty play.

I have a friend in cali who was nasa engineer for years and moved into tuning motorcycles. He’s been tuning for me 8 years, he’s about to close shops. Cali has made it almost impossible for him to conduct business over the last year.

treating him like a crack dealer basically.

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
Everyone seems to have their own ideas about which laws to violate. Some people ignore littering laws, some cheat on their taxes, many intentionally break emissions laws because they are inconvenient for their own personal hobby. What's the difference, really? Respect for the law means respect for all laws, not just the ones we approve of. Just my opinion. I know this thread edges close to the political realm, but I didn't start it.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
It's the need for "armed EPA agents" we're questioning. Tampering with engine devices that can affect emissions, "defeat devices", has been illegal since the '70s. We all know that.

If the EPA want to raid a shop, and they're worried about a firefight, I would think they could just request the local police to accompany them. Not sure why EPA agents have to be armed.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
CA Air Resource Board (CARB) / BAR have been doing stings/raiding shops in CA for years. I can't really think of a reason that the EPA agents would be armed in general, but then again park rangers are armed too.

CARB implemented some questionably legal sections to the smog check last week that could very well force all tuners outside of CA borders. I'll probably end up selling my Subaru out of state before its next smog check as a result (I've got a year and a half). It's frustrating in that my car is illegal because it's able to run on Flex-Fuel and altering the ECM is against the rules. Yet my car is "cleaner" than a stock STI.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
CA Air Resource Board (CARB) / BAR have been doing stings/raiding shops in CA for years. I can't really think of a reason that the EPA agents would be armed in general, but then again park rangers are armed too.

B.A.R. would have highway patrol or local police assist if needed. No reason EPA can't do the same. If I were to give my opinion on why I'd have to delete my own post...

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
True - although the time we got a visit, I didn't see any arms at all. The clip boards were scary enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts