EPA armed agents' raids on car shops would be curtailed under Hill proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
I’ve actually seen people on fb groups asking for “emission inspectors they could get stickers from” or buying eo stickers off Facebook for their items.

I guess fraud would be a large play in this. Sad. Not just for us to do things, but parts providers and shops who lose incomes because they sell parts that is deemed illegal for people to use/alter car

loss of jobs is sad all around
I see fake temp tags and inspection stickers f/s on FB all the time.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Since I was involved with ECM air estimation algorithms for some time, I will mention that a more efficient air box can upset our speed density calibrations. We can't always run off the air meter; 4 cylinder engines rarely do, due to reversion in the intake flow, and other reasons. Also, air meters aren't the most accurate device in the world, and under certain conditions we update the gain based in part on the speed density.

And we have specs about how much straight tubing must be in front and behind the air meter, to get a good reading. Not sure the aftermarket boxes always pay attention to that? When we calibrate the intake system on the airflow bench, the whole air box is included in the setup.

It seems like a slight amount, I know, but we dial the converter precious metal loading down to the bare minimum to save cost, based on the accuracy we can achieve with the air measurement system. If that accuracy is lessened for some reason, the converter precious metal loading should generally be increased.

But now I'm working on software and algorithms for electric vehicles, so I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore :)

FreedomPenguin

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
Since you are in that field, do you know about electric car maintenance? Are they going to be basically maintenance free or is there going to be anything like oil changes etc? I am curious because if I do need a replacement one day, I do believe I’m going 100% electric if I am spending $, no reason to buy fuel cars for me if I can charge them at home.

I just don’t want to lose a manual shifter, I know the sema Ford Mustang was 100% electric paired to 6 speed manual. Whether or not anyone puts one in production is another thing all together

I’m talking for dd, not a race car type deal. Motorcycles too, I read more and more about electric motorcycles but they appear to all be automatics, I read kawidaki said they are making an electric paired with a gearbox.

to be honest, the idea of electric motorcycle power is terrifying, I mean a true electric sports bike, I ride 1000’s but they build into power.

100% torque / power at 1% throttle sounds insane. Like blackout type power

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
No, sorry, I haven't owned one yet, or been involved with developing the maintenance schedule. Just writing powertrain control software.

I've wondered about maintenance, too; whether the motors will be sealed, or require at least adding oil now and then. And the battery cooling system I wonder about, too. The batteries on our hybrids were liquid cooled, so I imagine the batteries on our BEVs will be too. Probably the best bet is to check out the Tesla forums. They've been on the road long enough, people should have some comments about maintenance.

We can program the electric motor power to ramp up any way we wish. We'll still have torque smoothing for going through the zero torque areas where the driveline lash has to be taken up, for example. We have calibration targets for customer acceptance for launch. And there is torque smoothing traction control, drag control, and stabilitrak; those features will also be needed for BEVs. With the 3 motor system, we can actually do some fun things controlling vehicle direction.

I think the shifting goes away. We don't need many gear changes with an electric motor.

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
The cars today... if they're polluting more it's most likely because someone screwed up the calibration and the car won't run right anyway... so the customer won't be satisfied and they'll have to fix it. In which case it's practically a self correcting issue.
Exactly....to make good power you need for it to be burning clean, not pig rich.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts