Evaporator core hardware

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DougD, Jun 25, 2021.

1. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

In assembling and putting the suitcase together, I noted that a few screws had wandered into the far recesses of the place that socks go from the dryer.

Anyone have any thoughts on finding some proper ones? Otherwise I will just use something I can find laying around. Rather use something proper. (stupid resistor also went missing but I can buy that)

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The screws which hold the two halves of the case together?

The factory ones were black and self-tapping.
    Once the fiberglass pieces have threads in them, you shouldn't need self-tapping screws.

Besides the finish, these are probably the proper size and length.

1968-1982 Corvette AC Evaporator Box Case Screws (zip-corvette.com)

Somebody may have an old evaporator case, which they've removed, to supply you with the correct factory pieces.
    You could create a "WTB" thread in the Swap Meet section.

3. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Didn't warrant a WTB thread, and really not wanting this stupid thing to hold up progress. I'll just use something improper down low :)

I also failed in an assembly instruction, looking at the manual to see about the screws. Apparently the challenging "up top" screw over the blower motor is supposed to be first. Yeah, not a big deal. It's also missing, but easily replaced and with the seam sealer, almost irrelevant.

My son is sorta bummed that it won't be operational for the 4th when he comes home for a couple days. I sent him a pic of the interior.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm really not sure why that screw to the firewall is supposed to be first.
    The original holes will all line up when you reassemble it.

My guess is... It's to hold the weight more evenly and keep the top of the case from tilting forward (away from the firewall) during factory assembly?
    I don't see how it would affect the seal to the firewall.

Did you buy a seal kit for the evaporator? (It's a couple of foam pieces and something similar to butyl rubber strips.)

I went around mine and filled anything which looked like a possible gap with butyl window seal to make sure it was air tight after tightening the bolts.

5. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Oh yeah, fresh seals. With some sealant behind them. And yeah, that's the ONLY reason I could see it being #1.

Not my first rodeo. Built this car in '85, refresh in '87. Sold in '06. Bought back in '14.