Exhaust Cut Out Install

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by NM1989, Dec 26, 2019.

1. NM1989

NM1989 Member

I have a 79 Camaro with a Jegs dual exhaust kit. The kit is crappy and the tail pipes don’t exit the back enough. I got a set of cut outs and high flow cats for Christmas. Would a muffler shop have any issue welding the cutouts up as long as they weld the cats too?

In the past, muffler shops refused to work on the car without cats which has made it hard to get the exhaust right. I’m hoping they can fix the tail pipe issue as well.

Any experience or advice is helpful. Thanks!

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Do you have any friends who can do it ?

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May want to start asking around. Shops around here won't remove a cat but will work on them once the cat is removed.

4. NM1989

NM1989 Member

No unfortunately I don't.

5. NM1989

NM1989 Member

Ya a local shop said they would weld cats up for me a while. I haven't asked if they would do both the cats and cutouts. I'm assuming from an EPA perspective, as long as cats are on the car they are legal.

6. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

79 Camaro, isn't your car smog exempt?

7. NM1989

NM1989 Member

No I think 1975-newer were emissions cars.

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

In NY my car is emission exempt because it is over 25yrs old. My car had a CAT ... it is gone now and it is dual 3".

I did a quick google and found this for you, Virginia is the same as NY ... not only for Lovers :whine:
    https://wiygul.com/support/1776/get-the-facts-on-virginias-emissions-inspection-regulations/

4th Paragraph states:
    "
    Those motor vehicles exempt from emissions inspections include motorcycles or a gasoline-powered passenger or property carrying vehicle with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year and/or gasoline-powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds. Additional exempt vehicles include diesel-powered vehicles, vehicles exclusively powered by clean fuel, vehicles being titled for the first time in Virginia with a Manufacturer's Certification of Origin (MCO), and qualified hybrid motor vehicles.
    "

9. NM1989

NM1989 Member

Hey I appreciate you looking into that for me! I am emissions exempt (running historical plates) but since it came from the manufacturer with cats, muffler shops aren’t allowed to remove or work on cars without them. I haven’t found a muffler shop willing to push the limits of this law.

10. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

That's BS ... if you find yourself in long island come to my house I have a lift, chop saw and a mig welder. Look up my posts and you will see I do it at home.

Rickochet55 likes this.