Exhaust for 71 Z28 wit Hooker LT headers

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by flht99b, May 26, 2016.

1. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

So my question is has anyone had good or bad experiences with steel or stainless steel exhaust systems from Pypes, Flowmaster, Stainless works or ? in either a 2 muffler or stock transverse muffler configuration ? I plan to have an X or H pipe in the new system. I am leaning towards the stock transverse muffler configuration as I never liked seeing the 2 mufflers in the rear view of the car. I prefer stainless steel over aluminized steel systems. I can no longer stand real loud exhaust plus I want my wife to be somewhat comfortable when we take the car out together. Car currently has Hooker LT headers. Looking for recommendations, real world experience and suggestions. I know sound level is a subjective thing but I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible. Engine is a 355 SBC, Dart SHP 180 aluminum heads, Lunati hydraulic cam #10120703, MSD HEI, 10.6 to 1 static compression, Holley 300-36 intake, Holley 780 and Hooker long tube headers.
    TIA...Ed.

2. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Hi Ed. I don't know if this will help you or not but here's a link to a video in my build thread of the engine being started for the first time. I have Hooker Super Comp long tube headers and a Flowmaster system with a X pipe. The sound is a little muffled because it's in a garage but I like it. Not too loud in my opinion. My motor is a 383 stroker by the way.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283938&page=7

It's number 101 and the video takes a bit to load.

3. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

you want real quiet with still good performance go with Vibrant Performance Ultra-Quiet Resonators*right after the headers, x pipes hooked up to them, with some dynomax super turbo or walker mufflers with the pipes out the back extended a lil extra (thats where the sound exits).

if you dont like the resonators right on the headers, where vibrational noise could possibly travel up the tans hump leaking into the cabin, you can put them after the axle and with a little modification can tuck them against the side panel (they should fit just gotta give the pipes a bowleg stance)

either way pairing any regular style mufflers with a straight through muffler or resonator will quiet it sigificantly. also a longer muffler is better than a short. example if you did without the x pipe, you could hook 24" or 30" glasspacks into a transverse offset muffler at the stock position and it would quiet things down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

I looked at a lot of systems. Pypes x system was the best imo. 2.5'' ss mandrel bent pipes and a good flowing transverse muffler. Installed easy as it gets. Used left over pipe to make some tips. Comes with clamps etc....Quiet till you get on the throttle...

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  5. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Thanks, the Pypes X system in SS right now is top of my list.

6. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ditch the headers and it'll be quiet. Last time I used headers was in 1977. I want to hear the stereo and M22 sounds. At 62, I don't want noise, I had it in my 20's. :cool:

8. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Dang COPO, can you make decent power without headers? I would love to run manifolds but I just figure I would be losing too much power. I would love to test manifolds vs headers at the dragstrip on a street 350 but I don't think I could stomach doing 2 exhaust jobs in one summer.

I have headers on my 76 truck with a mild 350 and I always thought it was too quiet for 4 years. I don't like my stuff too loud either but I thought it was really too quiet for my taste. The muffs finally blew out and I went louder with Thrush welded echo chambers and it sounds like crap; loud and not even cool. Moral of the story: I think headers can be pretty quiet with the right mufflers and I don't dare to not run them.

9. JL8Jeff

JL8Jeff Veteran Member

10. Purebreed1

Purebreed1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the Pypes SS transverse system in my car. Had it professionally installed with band clamps and welds. Great sound without being overwhelming. Great ground clearance and tucks up tight to the body. Get the nice tips if you go this route as they look great. BTW I went with ball and socket connection.