Exhaust is too loud

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by RTSE, Mar 5, 2021.

1. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ran FM's when they first came out on my 78Z, they were big but you didn't hear them till you opened it up. So big they would bite the ground on the back edge of the case and eventually busted the seam. Went to the 40's kit on my 80Z and have been debating changing them for 2 years. If you don't have a cross over I would try that first then if it's still to loud find something else. Pypes has just introduced a new set of turbo mufflers and I'm looking at them. Running Hedman mid's and 2 ¹/²" pipes. I need to have the pipes re-routed to clear the 2004r crossmember but just been to busy to get it done.

2. DAVS_70LT1

DAVS_70LT1 New Member

I run a pair of FM Series 50 Delta 2.5in with X-pipes on my 70 RS Z28 and I am always getting complements on the sound. Not too loud but good and throaty.

3. CMCE

CMCE New Member

DAVS 70LT1- Those Delta 50's are 17" long. Any problems fitting them into the floor pan pocket?

4. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

I don't know, I've got Magnaflows on mine and it's pretty damn loud. I don't think I would go that direction if you're looking for something moderately quiet.

5. Steemo

Steemo New Member

If it's too loud... you're too old! HA ha ha.

1320feet likes this.
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup and that’s probably why I can’t hear too well today. Nothing but stock now for me.

manicmechanic likes this.
  7. DAVS_70LT1

DAVS_70LT1 New Member

They are tightly in there but there is sufficient clearance for an appropriate air space around them (nothing is touching the floor-boards).

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

X2 ^^^ I'm with you kenny77.

I got my FM's 3" - 3 chamber 50 series back in the mid 90's. I friggin loved the sound with turn downs, my buddies ran 10's, then 9's, then in the 8's with them. I only went 11'0's because I only had poopy iron heads with a 327, but it was through the FM's so they worked for me and my buddies I guess.

I cut them apart and made the mods to get ride of the drone and pick up some cfm, used a flow bench for the R&D, using tail pipes really calmed it down. Still on my car today, 26 years later.

I made another "home-brewed" set that flows enough to support 800hp,I called them my "Super V'eez", but I did not pass the Db test at the road course, so I had to put in inserts to pass tech. Sound changed, I did not like it.

Now my sons are 23 & 19, and they said "by those Black Widow Venom 250's Dad" the Camaro will sound so friggin wicked....... SO I DID.

I'm going to be 55 , my wife says I have selective hearing anyway.....ya, I know, Who cares, I love it....
    pic4.png

9. angelo

angelo New Member

My 81 Trans Am has the Thrush transverse turbo muffler header back system #89021. It is 2 1/2" all the way. Beyond the muffler I purchased Walker (same company that makes the Thrush system) 43821/43822 tail pipes, these are factory 2 1/4" with dual chrome tips for 76-81 Trans Am's with the factory transverse muffler or factory over the axle pipes. I put 2-1/2 to 2-1/4 reducers at the outlets of the transverse muffler - everything lined up perfectly. I recently cut out the H pipe that comes with the Thrush system when I did my Tremec Magnum 6 speed swap and as noted by others removing the H did make the car sound a little louder from the outside, but inside the car it sounds the same. I am not running headers, I am running Ram Air Restoration cast iron factory style headers with Ram Air Restoration down pipes. The Thrush system was easy to modify for the down pipes. The kit comes with hangers which I did not use. I did buy 2 35183 hanger insulators that bolted right under the car above the transverse muffler which made hanging the muffler really easy. I reused the factory hangers in the back with the tail pipes.

One thing about the Thrush system, if you have a rear factory stabilizer bar, you will need to put dents into the pipes to clearance the drop links. The pipes are aluminized steel, its very easy to massage with a 1 lb BFH.

Before the Thrush system I had the Pypes system with the Street Pro mufflers, X pipe and dual mufflers, it was way too loud and I had nothing but drone inside the car. Apparently I made the mistake of thinking Street Pro was for the street and Race Pro was for racing, as its actually the opposite. You want the Race Pro mufflers for the street, and the Street Pro for racing. The reason I switched systems was the stainless steel is too hard to work with. Without welding and bending tools I was unable to re-bend the piping over the axle which meant I had an occasional bang. The Pypes system is not a perfect fit. The much cheaper Thrust system to my surprise fit much better. It only took one engine swap to discover it was going to be nearly impossible to make the Pypes system work right again, I decided it was worth $250 at the time to buy a new system than to tow it to a muffler shop.

Transverse setup has a lot of flexibility, you could technically buy that system but get a Borla or Magnaflow transverse muffler to further tune the sound.

Bills69 likes this.
  10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

About 10 yrs ago I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder system #17149. It included the slash cut stainless tip and H pipe along with slimline Delta 50 mufflers. I was a little concerned about the mufflers being restrictive due to size but they don't seem to be holding the car back at all and sound great. They are not overly loud or obnoxious, I can order at the drive thru without having to shut off the car, but they will bark when the hammer is dropped:)

I had a local muffler shop hang it and weld it up. Mufflers tuck up nice and tight, lowest point on the exhaust system is the bottom of the collector flange on the 66104 Hedman's. Still looks great after a decade and around 9,000 miles of road time

[​IMG]

G72Zed likes this.