Exhaust too low.

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by NC70, Nov 26, 2021.

1. NC70

NC70 New Member

70 Camaro, 350 sb, mild build. Long tube headers leak and need replaced. Also large boxey mufflers got to go. Very loud and Hot! Need advice as to go back with long tube or I am thinking mid length to help raise them up. Trying to get them higher and less like lava. Thanx IMG_20170917_105759.jpg IMG_20170917_105759.jpg

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

By nature, long tube header hang low, there's only so much room between the floorpan and the ground. If you are replacing the headers, a set of mid-lengths might be a good answer here. If you are running an Automatic transmission, the Hedman 68608 is a great choice. The headers are thermal coated so they will contain heat more than a 'raw' steel one.

Those mufflers look like old Flowmasters, they are fairly standard size. If you are looking to maximize ground clearance, a factory-style 'crossflow' system could be a good option. Pypes makes a crossflow system that is of excellent quality. The muffler is up behind the rearend and will gain you some ground clearance.
    https://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200969-67-74-2-5-f-x-body-crossflow-w-x-pipe-system-sgf70.html

[​IMG]

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've never used any of the pre-fab systems, I do understand some are very good quality. If you have a known good muffler shop in your area, drop by and visit.

Welcome to NastyZ :)

4. NC70

NC70 New Member

Thanks for your quick reply, yes it is an automatic, base coupe. former owner cloned it for HP i guess. i will be taking it to shop soon, as i wanted to know a little more about the subject before i go, header size, tube diameter, crossover, etc. as i dont have a lot of experience with exahust. thanx again. Tims70.jpg

5. NC70

NC70 New Member

Thanks Corky, yes it will go to shop soon, and i dont have any experience with exahust ,so im trying to get a bit more info.
    thanx again.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will tell you that whoever fitted up that exhaust did a fast job. There is plenty of room for those mufflers or any duals for that matter. I pieced and welded my exhaust up myself, and tucked them up just fine under the car. But it takes time, and adjustment every car is going to be a little different. Again, that picture of yours shows limited ground clearance....because of a terrible job of fitting that exhaust under the car

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Zstar likes this.
  7. NC70

NC70 New Member

I agree, from day 1 this has been a pain in my exhaust. I bought the car cheap and the interior was horrible, half original and half 80s crap. I spent the first 6 months undoing previous work. Engine is great, but it must have been set up for drag or something. Its a base coupe, automatic with air conditioning not currently installed. Thank.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Make sure your engine state of tune isn't causing your heat problems. Headers and duals will radiate some heat, but shouldn't be Chernobyl level. I have a similar setup and drive it fairly hard. I dont notice more heat than most stock vehicles.

9. NC70

NC70 New Member

Yes, it's shouldn't be as hot as it is, especially after I put down boom mat, and a thermal blanket under the carpet. Driver side leaks at the head. Passenger side in good shape. It ticks under the hood as I here the sound in the back. Guessing it effects compression. Not real versed on all that. Thanks.

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's my Camaro with 3" exh and one chamber Flowmaster race mufflers tucked up tight against the floor board . Still have an air gap between the mufflers and floorboard . Also well above the Calvert racing Cal Trac bars

14989853360311569695908.jpg

biker likes this.