F/A-18 Hornets & Super Hornets takeoff & land aboard the USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I`m a shellback. I was aboard the LST 1186 Cayuga ( From Airport 77 fame)while in the Marines we went south of Singapore during 1977. It was an interestig experience.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

See what I mean, even a grunt made it and I was floating right there and never made it :(

3. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

I HATE choppers, crashed in one after we lost a hornet. We had a weekend warrior at the stick. We were loaded and going in for a "salvage Op" he got hot and heavy and down we went. Miracle no one died. Our OIC was from Texas. Call sign Snowman! He screamed " I didn't bring my people out here to die in some freaking Helimacopter crash" LMAO his southern draw was great.

By no means a BA. Sometimes i was scared Poo-less. Had to be at least 3 or 4 times I thought this was it. Not a good feeling. We trained the Kuwait pilots after the 1st DS. These guys were not the sharpest pencils, but their family was the richest. So they got to go. Near mid air collision on a FAM 101 flight. ( first solo flight for a RP - replacement pilot) Nothing like being able to read the caution tags on a Hornet at 20K that literally just about tore you wing off.

Another was a lighting strike. Not a full on dead bolt, but enough to blow a hole thru the aft right stab. Made for a exciting landing.

4. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

I can neither confirm nor deny any such thing may or may not have happened.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here I went down in a CH46 Flying body bag at MCAGCC 29 Palms . The 46 took off and within 5 minutes over the base it lost main hydraulics . we then made a hard landing and scared the crap out of everyone onboard including myself

Bandit723 likes this.
  6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This will get your attention fast onboard a flying body bag

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Looked at the Vietnam videos. before my time. I have a lot of respect for these folks.

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Another reason I joined the US Navy, no way in hell I wanted to get shipped to some jungle to sloosh around!!!!!
    Dodging rockets, mosquito's, snakes, land mines in Vietnam, no thanks!!!!!

9. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

little off topic but still good...

10. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was in helicopters as a jet mech just about my whole career, flew in UH-1N Hueys in California and in Antarctica. Fresh out of Jet Mech school I get orders to VXE-6-Antartic Development Squadron 6. Hardly anyone in the Navy knew much about it, I wanted F-14's but this turned out to be so much cooler, flying scientists around Antarctica, our squadron had ski equipped C-130's for long flights and UH-1N Hueys. It was pretty lax squadron, My last year down there I got tired of wearing the Seabee Green uniform wrinkled right out of the laundry bag (none of our officers really cared what we looked like). Well I ironed mine, blocked and starched my cover, bloused my pants and pissed everyone off, cause our new Senior Chief (Prersidential honor guard out of boot camp, USN Sailor of the Year automatically advanced to Chief Petty Officer, then picks up Senior Chief with like 10-11 years in) he says to everyone I'd like you all to take a look at AD2 Rzewnicki's uniform. Funniest thing was Jimmy Spiller behind the maintenance control counter, when I walked in he snapped to attention says "CAN I HELP YOU SIR?, I'm like "Spiller...it's me", oh thought you were someone important.
    The "Uniform"
    [​IMG][/URL]

Flew a few times down there, here we are in the Dry Valleys:
    [​IMG]

H-3's, ended up flying a lot in those, I was the single guy working in Quality Assurance, and a QA rep for Mech's, Airframes, Electricians and Avionics and A plane captain (PC) so when one of our aircraft broke down on cross countries I volunteered to go on rescue missions since I could inspect everyone elses work and do the daily inspection of aircraft as a PC. Loved going on rescue missions. My next sqaudron flew around Philippines in SH-2F's, just for fun, then when they decommissioned all the H-2 HSL squadrons, I once again, a fully qualed QA rep/plane captain, volunteered to go on cross country flight where we flew an H-2 from San Diego to Fairbanks Alaska-took 5 days (up through the Yukon, what a frickin blast!), we were dropping the aircraft off for the Pioneer Air Museum We landed at little airfields all through Canada. The frickin cold (only Nov luckily) played havoc at times.

Me lower left:
    [​IMG]

"Jump starting" a helo, really this guy had this rig made up to jump start aircraft 2, 12 volt batteries in series and then a connector to go to external power port on aircraft.

[​IMG]

we had shut down and I went into FOB to tell them we needed fuel truck, well they just had a stationary fueling station, not wanting to tax the battery to start helo up, shut down, fuel then restart, I asked if they had a tow tractor....no but... Yup tied some rope around the main mounts, and a pick up truck pulled us. That's the squadron XO "riding brakes" in the cockpit, he ok'd my improvised tow tractor idea.

[​IMG]

The best squadron I was ever in HSL-51 Atsugi Japan, made Senior Chief not long after getting here, got to take my helo detachment down to Okinawa and shoot some Hellfire missiles, first time they were shot off from an operational Navy squadron SH-60B. On deployment went flying around the Persian Gulf, we buzzed some Iraqi oil platforms scaring the poo out of the people on them, I'm in the back with the AW- warfare operator, sitting in the cargo door opening, feet hanging out, got my gunners belt on connecting me to helo, smoking a cigarette when over the intercom I hear who's smoking back there the AW says Senior is, I hear oh ok from the cockpit. Old days all the helos used to have ashtrays in them! My Officer in charge and my maintenance officer were two of the best officers I ever met, still friends with them on Facebook. The first HSL squadron to have a "showbird", this aircraft didn't deploy with the detachments due to its paint scheme, now a lot of the helo squadrons have a girl who goes by FLYGIRL on Facebook doing their tail art, she is good. Our bird, little hard to tell got the Samurai warrior on tail, Japanese rising sun over Mt Fuji farther up tail.

[​IMG]

And being in the Navy had some really great benefits. I was assigned to USS JFK, (first time ships company and first time on a carrier in 17 years), we did Opsail 2000, going to New York City, then we went to Boston. Got to meet some of the Kennedy's (Max?) when they hosted us for wine and food at JFK library. I emailed Doug Berman the producer of Car Talk on Public Radio and told him how much I enjoyed the show and I was wondering if Tom and Ray would like a personal tour of the Kennedy. I got a response, that said Tom was in Toronto but Ray, his wife Monique, and Doug and his wife Syp, would love to come. I had a blast showing them around, nicest people you could ever meet. Doug was fascinated by Combat Info Center and had some in depth conversations with people that worked in there. A few weeks after we pulled back into Mayport Fl I got a box (addressed to Admiral Rzewnicki) of all kinds of Car Talk paraphernalia, hat, T shirt, bumper stickers, and they included copies of all the pics they had taken on board.

Doug Berman, myself and Ray Magliozzi on flight deck of JFK:
    [​IMG]

Over the years other helo's I got to fly in; H-53 Super Stallions (fast and smooth), H-46's bit bumpy of a ride in them. And the SH-60F and HH-60H, No matter what helo I was flying in after having gone through helo dunker training (huge barrel, has seats in it, you get in, strap into the seats, then they drop the barrel in the pool, it rolls over, sinks, you "wait for a violent motion to cease" then unstrap and find your way out, next time you get to do it blindfolded) well I always tried to pick a seat next to a window or door, and looked for what handholds I would use to get out. But only had two flights with in flight emergencies, and we landed safely each time. I frickin love helos, To fly is heavenly to hover is divine, to fal out of the sky is typical. I did get to do a trap on board a carrier when I flew out in a C-2 to meet the JFK in Persian Gulf, then got a cat shot leaving the JFK, blast! Been retired12 years and every squadron I was in has either been decommissioned (VXE-6, HSL-33) or redesignated (HSL-45, HSL-51, HS-15) just about all the ships I was on, USS Kirk, USS Marvin Shields, USS Rodney M Davis, USS Paul F Foster, USS O'Brien, USS JFK, USS Nimitz are all gone, only ones left are the USS George Washington and the USS Ronald Reagan. My wife was a corpsman for 8 years, my mother in law is retired Navy Chief, her ex is retired Marine/Army (drill sergeant), all 3 of my brother in laws were in, one on the Shangra LA, one on subs and other in medical field. And my dad was a airplane mech during WWII till he went to the dark side and became an aviation boatswains mate arresting gear.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017