F/A-18 Hornets & Super Hornets takeoff & land aboard the USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Mar 4, 2017.

1. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

I've often wondered something about the USS John F Kennedy (CV-67).... how did it get the nickname "Building 67"?

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In port a lot, would be my guess. Lots of weird stuff about the Kennedy, only ship of it's class, was supposed to be Kitty Hawk class, and Nuclear powered but got modded very heavily then they changed her to oil fired boilers for propulsion, and it was placed in service 9-8-68...my eighth birthday. The Captains Cabin has a copy of the carpet from the oval office from when JFK was president, pretty cool, and the walls have wood panels and teak flooring so you feel like your on an old time sailing ship. Only Navy ship authorized to have wood (fire hazard) installed like that. The ship was a floating memorial to JFK. Here's why it was in port so much (underfunded reserves) this is from wikipedia:

On 1 October 1995, John F. Kennedy was designated to be an operational reserve carrier and Naval Reserve Force ship with a combined full-time active duty and part-time Naval Reserve crew complement, assigned to the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. Kennedy would be available to deploy with either an active or reserve carrier air wing when mobilized in support of urgent operational requirements. In this capacity, John F. Kennedy's new primary function would be to provide a surge capability, and in peacetime, to support training requirements. She would participate in routine fleet exercises, aviator carrier qualifications, and battle group training.[2] The impetus for this initiative was post-Cold War defense spending in the mid-1990s, however, the Naval Reserve was never adequately funded to accomplish major maintenance actions for the Kennedy, further exacerbated by additional defense cutbacks that eliminated Carrier Air Wing Reserve 30 and the downgrading of Carrier Air Wing Reserve 20 to a non-deployable Tactical Support Wing and the return of many of the Reserve's front-line combat aircraft to the active duty force. Following the 11 Sep 2001 attacks on the United States, the Operational Reserve Carrier concept was discontinued and Kennedy was returned to the active duty fleet and placed back in the same maintenance rotation as active duty carriers.

3. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

This may be the best thread ever on this site. Gentlemen, THANK you for your service.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

See that's what I meant, many of you guys were true hero's!!
    I sat in combat on a Cruiser, and didn't do anything important.
    We just floated around Philippines, Japan & Alaska, and when we finally went to do something important, I was in the hospital :(

I don't care what anyone says, you guys absolutely were badass!!!!

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

We all served in our own ways. Just depends on time and circumstances.Good luck to you all.

6. grzewnicki

Good description on Wikipedia for those unfamiliar with wog day or crossing the line ceremony. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Really sucks if you only cross the line once, I'm right there at the bottom of the pic, luckily we crossed again on my next cruise so I got to have some fun with the wogs.We started here in the hangar bay, funniest part was when we got to forecastle, they poured syrup on us, then broke open some down pillows, we needed feathers to fly since we were all airdales. This is when we could still use shelali's (24-30 inch long piece of 1 1/2 inch firehouse, with a handle, you got your ass hit with)

[​IMG]

talent contest for the wog queen first one is our guy from the air det, the second dude you could almost accidentally pick up in a bar....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the "girls"

[​IMG]

Me and my buddy Fred dishing some fun out, fun? Look at that smile on my face!

[​IMG]

Love this pic, "skirting" a typhoon, this is a Knox class Frigate, USS Kirk, only about 400 feet long, 50 foot wide and 4000 tons (carriers are 90,000 tons), we were near Korea, we took worse rolls than this, 3 days straight. Some of the nets that surround the flight deck got ripped off when they went into the water on rolls. The air seacrh radar on top of the ships mast got ripped off, only the cables that went to it kept it from falling to the deck. We were in Bahrain for about a week getting repairs done once we got into the Persian Gulf finally.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    muscl car likes this.
  7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have been in a Typhoon In the Taiwan Straits aboard the LST 1186 Cayuga .It was no fun at all,Darn flat bottom boat.

8. mrdragster1970

We had a big storm up near the Aleutians, but just a regular storm, and even on a Cruiser it was rough.
    The Philippines was hit by a typhoon when I was there, but it was a W/E, and we were in port, and I was with my G/F walking around Olongapo.
    Still violent as heck, and a lot of death & destruction in the poor areas that couldn't afford it :(
    My G/F lived in a little hut on stilts, made of tin, cardboard & leaves.

When I was an instructor I cruised around San Diego on a couple of Amphibs, they definitely sucked!!!!!

9. grzewnicki

Used to hang out in the Rufadora, it was the HSL sqaudrons guys hangout, ways down on Magsaysay. All the walls were covered with detachemnt plaques, always wondered what happened to all of those when we left Subic.

10. mrdragster1970

I used google Earth to look around Luzan, and all the places I went, and I didn't recognize much.
    Damn 35 years goes by fast :(