F/A-18 Hornets & Super Hornets takeoff & land aboard the USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Mar 4, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Isn't it a shame how much knowledge, scientific breakthroughs the human race has made the last 150 plus years,
    and we are so stupid at the same time :(
    What kind of idiots thought just throwing dangerous crap in a hole would mean it's forgotten forever :(

I know I was raised like a complete loser.
    I had to change the oil on my mothers car when I was 9-10 years old, and she would make me pour it down the sewer.
    Dumping chemicals, medicines, and all kinds of other dangerous things into our lakes & river :(

What an idiotic animal we can be when it's easier, more convenient :(

CasperCasper and muscl car like this.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This dumping of solvents especially TCE has been happening since the base opened in 1947 . the base was finally closed in 1999 so that's 52 years of solvents leaching into the ground water

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Especially when California seems to be so health conscience. There is Cancer labels over a lot of stuff. Even some oils are banned. Yet the state lets a developer build on a toxic site is beyond belief. Follow the money....

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How about all the crap we threw over the side of the ships when we were at sea? I was telling Cheryl when I was on the port/aft .50cal gun mount on USS Marvin Shields, we would target practice on big (4' tall3" around) bags of trash that the ship in front of us would throw off the fan tail. She was like "why are they throwing trash overboard"? She was pissed. I know all the carriers have solid waste processing stations now. Nice to see them trying to reduce what goes overboard. We use to hold waste on board when we were in sensitive areas (P Gulf was one I think) and they would pull barges up with dumpsters on them for us to off load trash. The highlight of our cruise on small boys was always throwing the refrigerator we brought aboard for the hangar overboard before pulling into Long Beach or San Dog at the end of cruise. In antarctica my first year there if we needed to work on a fuel cell we would just pop open the the ports we used for taking daily fuel samples on the bottom of the helo and let it drain (flight line was crushed rock). Last year or two we had to drain into big pan the pump into 55 gal drums.

5. mrdragster1970

That's for sure, there was no way in hell to store garbage on my ship.
    We were actually an old destroyer that they stuffed a bunch of missiles on and called us a Cruiser.
    We were tiny compared to the real Cruisers from the War.

I know one time we came back from a short cruise and all hell broke loose.
    The CIA or FBI?? had followed us and grabbed some of the garbage bags.
    They had put together a bunch of classified documents that were shredded & thrown over board.
    Now I have no clue how the deck apes do any of that, but they got in big trouble for improper weighting procedures??

I was on the USS Fox one time on a short cruise when I was an instructor and all of a sudden heard gun shots??
    The Captain was out shooting birds & fish.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What sucks about the chemical exposure at El Toro is that the VA is not recognizing it and denying claims . But the water contamination at Lejeune no problem instant help for Marines

7. mrdragster1970

Same thing they are doing with me.
    I was top rack and I had several asbestos covered pipes over my head,
    and they refuse to even say the word asbestos when dealing with all my lung damage & breathing issues??
    For a guy that has never had a single puff of a cigarette my entire life, I sure am having a lot of breathing issues all of a sudden??

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

When I went back in on my second contract with the Marine corps .82-5 .They had me tested asbestos because I was in Motor Transport and was around all that type of stuff. And once I got out they haven`t checked me at all. Because of that test. And my first duty station was as MCAS (H) Tustin. MCAS El Toro .where I was around the hangers and the flight line.

9. mrdragster1970

My ship, long after I left, but only video I found so far

10. mrdragster1970

I just found my old ships jacket.
    Did the army & air force have custom duty station jackets???