Factory Gauge Harness Connector

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Orange71, Mar 28, 2009.

1. UnrivaledZ28

UnrivaledZ28 New Member

I replaced the circuit board a month ago on back since it was pretty rough and figured that was the issue. I'll post the only noticeable disconnected wiring off of the main dash harness.

All fuses look good and have light up my test light brightly. Since it's likely not the original steering column, I posted a pic of the connector from it. Just incase something is off about it.

I would think that my test light would light up on the hot wires in the 12 pin connector and it isn't. That's why i'm wondering where all of that leads to. (Still racking my brain on the diagram)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

Black and orange into this ............ cigarette lighter
    heater A/C............ radio connection
    pink/white clipped......... seat belt light
    grey clipped........ light that goes into your heater control (12V )
    black clipped........ light that goes into your heater control (ground)

There shouldnt be power at every pin on the plug that connects to your cluster, depends on what the wire is and where its going, for example the wire for your flasher will only have power in it off and on if the flasher is on, other than that you wont read anything...
    the only thing there that will have power with the key on is your fuel sender, volt meter and temp gauge and except for your voltage gauge for the battery, they wont read 12V

It looks like someones cut off all the pigtail ends of those wires....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    UnrivaledZ28 likes this.
  3. Camaro Tim01

[​IMG]

connector
    33...tan/dbl white strp...brake light... grounded only when fault condition happens (low hydraulic pressure)...ZERO VOLTS
    39...pink...power to instrument panel: oil light,fuel sender,temp gauge,brake light...12V KEY ON
    14...lght blu...LH turn signal, intermittent 12V power with key on and LH blinker on
    11...lght grn...High beam light, 12V when high beams on
    15...drk blu...RH turn signal, intermittent 12V power with key on and RH blinker on
    31...drk blu/dbl wht strp...Oil pressure switch, grounded when fault condition happens(low oil pressure)...ZERO VOLTS
    150...blck...Ground for cluster instrument panel lights...ZERO VOLTS
    8...gray...power 12V for instrument panel lights(make sure dimmer switch isnt turned all the way down)... 12V WITH LIGHTS ON AND DIMMER FULLY CLOCKWISE
    30...tan...Fuel gauge, various voltages depending upon gas level in tank
    39...pink...jumper to other side of connector 12V WITH KEY ON
    35...drk grn/dbl wht strp...temp sender ZERO VOLTS
    121...brn... tach various voltages DO NOT TEST THIS WIRE AS YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR TACH IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING

UnrivaledZ28 likes this.
  4. UnrivaledZ28

UnrivaledZ28 New Member

Thanks for the replies!! That's what I'm wondering where the end of the harness leads to. Straight into the fuse block and senders? I get no power to anything at the 12 pin connector when the key is turned forward.

I have brake lights,hazards, and both turn signals.I can see the turn signals light up on the cluster and outside.

5. Camaro Tim01

your cluster connector is not a plug that every pin has voltage, I dont know why you think you should be reading 12V at those pins ???

39 & 8 are about the only pins you'll read 12V at with the key on....

Don't care if theres 12V at them or not, care if the cluster works or not....

your cluster is a filing cabinet drawer, one drawer with with many separate file folders...one folder could be bills, the next bank account, the next family contacts.... they are all separate folders but in the same drawer.... this is your cluster...one cluster with many separate circuits in it, each separate from one another....just because one pin has 12V doesnt mean the next will...its totally separate and doing something completely different from the pin beside it.

"I have brake lights,hazards, and both turn signals.I can see the turn signals light up on the cluster and outside."

so your turn signals are working as they should if the lights are flashing in the cluster and on the car ??

do you have a voltmeter ?

we need to determine exactly What is working and what isnt working...

1. plug your cluster back in, turn key to on...
    turn on headlights, turn headlight knob all the way clockwise
    do you have back lighting on your instrument panel (dash lights) ?
    ***NOTE: IN SOME OLD GM DESIGNS IF ONE BULB IS MISSING OR BURNT IN CIRCUIT , NONE WILL LIGHT

2. push down on your hand brake, does the brake light in your instrument panel light up ?

3.Does your voltage gauge read 12V with key on ?

4.Does your fuel gauge work ?

5. push down your hi beam switch, does it light your instrument panel hi beam light ?

6. when you first turn your key to the on position do your brake and oil lights come on ?

6. dickeymoore

dickeymoore Member

What gauge are these wires?

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The wires at the cluster connector are all 18 or 20 gauge, depending upon the specific circuit you're looking at.