Family 1 owner 78 z28 Resto

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Got some work done this weekend. Hoping to have her breathing this month! On to the pics!

Stock trans pan with wrinkle paint to match the rest.

Front lights in, I wanted to replace but I have to watch what I spend at the moment, I will swap these out down the road...

New dual fans

Carb is on, just about everything is wired for the engine.

Another view

This was an exciting pic!

Overall getting fairly close, it sure is nickel and diming though! Oh well, it will be fun when shes cruising!

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Got the steering column in this weekend! Was able to get the thing fired up and going! Sure is nice seeing it come together.

[youtube]8GH2hY-FTlA[/youtube]

Last edited:

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Got her on the road today! Exciting weekend! Still have kinks and what not to work out, but overall pretty good

Ended up keeping my factory rims for now. Trying to buy a house have to stop charging the ol' credit card! Maybe next year I will do the upgrade.
I did pay $100 to the guy that painted my car to have my rims done though to have em match...came out pretty good..

Cluster in and working good.

Daylight!!!!

She was a little thirsty!

After a decent drive

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Well, sadly after I started driving it, I had a motor problem. One of my roller lifters went bad. Luckily I had just pulled out of work, so there was no drive time on the failure. Was chasing what I thought was a vibration, turns out it was a misfire when revved @ 2200 RPM. Had to pull the motor out and send it to the machine shop, they took care of it and inspected the whole motor, had it back in 6 days time.

After I pulled the motor out

Ready for the machine shop.

Back from the machine shop, prepped for a Saturday install.

Family helping out

Start of a Sunday drive

Cleaned up after first highway drive

Headed back to the shop to be locked up for the night

View looking out

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Here's some pics of her at work today

My refurbished bezel came back today

View from under

Oil pan / trans

Looking the other way

Back of the car

Putting her on a pedestal for the night.

NeoNeuro

Veteran Member
Aug 4, 2014
Panama City, FL
Very nice. I like those headers. What kind are they? Also, who did the refurb on your dash bezel? I have the silver Z28 bezel and some of the silver has come off in spots.

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Those are Headman Elite headers. #65278 I believe.

Instrument specialties did my bezel, it was quite the long process. like 4-6 months. They added the chrome trim because of a miscommunication, I think it is cheaper and quicker if you specify it does not need the chrome.

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
It's been a while since I have really posted much on here. Bought a house last thanksgiving and have had most of my focus on the move, holidays, settling in etc.

Its a pretty nice setup though, a 25x30 attached heated garage, and a separate 25 x 30 detached heated garage outback....have a nice place for all of my cars, especially my Camaro.

Anyways started back on toying with the car since the weather here in Kansas has been quite nice. On to the pics!!!!

Got a new grill set for my birthday from the fam. Here is the old grill that I did not reinstall after the paint job (for obvious reasons) vs. the new one.

Installed, new upper and lower:

Photobombing my gf's car while she is working. (she's in love with the Z28)

Driving her back to man cave

camarolife78

Veteran Member
Jul 22, 2014
Gardner, KS
Took the time to check the alignment on my car this week. Did not take the time to do it after I got her on the road last summer. It was not off too bad, but it was off enough that it needed some tweaking.

I am maxed out on caster on the LF, might have to do aftermarket control arms eventually. We will see, there are a lot of things a lot higher on the priority list.

Just realized that my thrust angle is a lot higher than I would like, I am going to have to shift my axle around, that is a bit too much for me to just leave it.

Last edited:

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Wow. Somehow I missed this whole thread. Nice work, I love the color too. That hood is pretty cool.

How good are the burnouts? Haha That's the first thing I'm gonna check when mine is done!

And congrats on the new place. I'd love to have two garages. Kills the car budget, but it's so nice to have your own place to work on stuff.

Latest posts