fan shroud, bbc

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Jimmac, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

just dropped a 454 into my 71 and of course one thing I forgot was a fan shroud. Anyone have any luck running a car without one? going with a fan clutch, motor isnt built, just a low compression 454 headers, intake.
    plan is to just finish the swap, basically belts, hoses, dist, carb. and ford solenoid. and see how it runs. jim

1980RS likes this.
  2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They do sell reproduction big block fan shrouds if you didn't know . Probably a good move to buy one and install it. Finding a OEM original is going to cost some serious money if you even find one. Possibly $1500 and up.

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I'm definitely going repop. nothing original about the car anymore. started out as a 307 powerglide when we got it in 78. now 454 th400 12 bolt.
    I just want to get the thing on the road asap. so I'm just going without a shroud until I order one. its go a big hole in the hood where the 6-71;used to stick out.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Yes, I have a big radiator with my 461 and I use an electric cooling fan off a 98 Buick LeSare. It's a 2 speed fan so I can run it on low around the pits and have it on high when I need it. Engine runs 170 to 185° on a 90° day.

5. bigbloc

bigbloc Veteran Member

It depends which motor mounts you used. If you used later style clamshell mounts, you could use a 7 blade fan from a later 2nd gen and the heavy duty cooling shroud. I used my factory fan and shroud with my BB swap.

6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

went and ordered a oer shroud, the small block shroud is too thick and I dont want to cut it up in case the car gets a small block again someday. jim

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

big brown truck showed up this afternoon. took about 10 minutes to install.
    even screwed a cowl scoop onto my hood. bbc with a rpm intake doesnt fit under a stock hood. next up, order a steel cowl hood. jim

8. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the SBC fan shroud when I put a BB in my 71, I just needed to put in a 1" smaller diameter fan