Favorite Picture Of Camaro Racecars

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
This original owner, Gene Hanchett, I believe bought it new and won a bunch of SCCA National Championships in the 70's. Gene retired in the early 80's and sold the car to the Ruiz family. I believe Gene is still in the top 200 for overall points in the SFR SCCA.

The car now has a Lotus Link outback Which is pretty cool
CP-Rear-end.jpeg

The car was rebuilt a couple of times over the years. I'm told it has the same Maier fabricated front suspension as Brian Hobaugh’s 2nd gen.

I kinda knew the previous owner (Manny) but haven't seen him or the car for years.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
This original owner, Gene Hanchett, I believe bought it new and won a bunch of SCCA National Championships in the 70's. Gene retired in the early 80's and sold the car to the Ruiz family. I believe Gene is still in the top 200 for overall points in the SFR SCCA.

The car now has a Lotus Link outback Which is pretty cool
View attachment 132858

The car was rebuilt a couple of times over the years. I'm told it has the same Maier fabricated front suspension as Brian Hobaugh’s 2nd gen.

I kinda knew the previous owner (Manny) but haven't seen him or the car for years.

Wow, lots of history there !! Cool ride, love those old style builds that got it done for the times.

Lotus Link, never heard of that, would it be safe to assume it was something from Colin Chapman's desk......

Lowend

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
It's kinda like a Satchell link - super-low roll center. But frankly goes beyond my suspension knowledge.
2 straight 'upper' control arms, and triangulated lower control arms that meet at the rear diff. It lets you get away without a panhard or watts link. The one of the left
rearends.gif

I don't think it's a design that's really used anymore.

Lowend

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Goddammit - now I'm looking at Lotus Cortina rear suspensions... that would be relatively easy to adapt to a 2nd gen.
No... no more old cars (I say daily driving a 20 year old Corvette)

1963-Ford-Lotus-Cortina-MK1_21.jpg

Last edited:

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Looks like a cool setup, wonder why there were not more of this style of rear setup used over the years in the 2nd gen featured cars I've seen.

$ link (4 link) and to a point 3 link got all the press, truck arm not so much....and leafs, well that's just boring LOL.