Fender to hood bumpers

twestrup

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
St. George, Utah
Installed the four (4) fender to hood bumpers (repops) and the hood will not sit flush to the fender. Hood was perfect prior to the install. Maybe a softer rubber compound? Any recommendations?

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
I would start with adjusting the pin that’s in the hood with the spring around it, wind it in so it pulls the hood tighter to the latch, if it won’t pull any tighter I believe the rubber bumpers have a hole cut out in the center so they can collapse a little when the hood hits them maybe u can use a razor knife to remove a little rubber out of the front two to let them collapse a little more.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Does the hood sit too high or too low?

The bumpers are adjustable.
The threaded shaft of the bumper screws through a fixed nut in the cowl and radiator support and there's a nut on the shaft of the bumper to lock it into place.

Did you change anything at the latch pin... Or just replace the bumpers?

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
1A75B72E-962B-44D4-A277-E1680D320EC1.png
Pretty sure he’s talking about these bumpers not the adjustable ones

Allison Winn

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2021
All the repops I have seen are too firm. Original fender/hood bumpers are soft. Might be what is causing the misalignment

Jfwyatt1

Aug 30, 2018
Burnsville nc
I've had some luck with this trick. Pull them out of fender drop them in boiling water for 30 seconds or so reinstall then shut good imediatly and leave it shut for a while. That usually works.

Latest posts