Fiberglass 81Z flares

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by woody80z28, Aug 31, 2020.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not a bad price.

They advertise them for 78-81 but only 80-81 had the rear flares.

If you get them... Let us know how they fit.

3. woody80z28

4. woody80z28

Bump

5. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Both of those links are for fiberglass flares, I believe the originals were made of urethane like the bumpers... so if they are hit, these aftermarkets will crack alot easier... the cheaper ones dont come with the holes drilled ( more expensive one doesnt say) ... by the pictures the more expensive ones look like a better finished quality but both say they need to be sanded and painted... the pricier ones come with the welting cheaper ones dont... almost have to have a set of each ones to compare but you can always email and ask how many layers of fiberglass ...your probably paying for quality so the costly ones should have more layers and be stronger and more durable... but in todays world you better call or email and verify that

I thought the bodies in the areas these flares fit were the same from about 74 onwards, why wouldnt they fit a 76 or 77 model ??

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Front bumper chin spoiler probably won't fit the earlier models correctly.
    On the rear quarter, behind the door, 70-81 are shaped the same.
    The front fenders changed in 78 so I don't know if the front pieces would fit right.
    I think they would look odd with the aluminum bumper out front.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

On my 1979 Z-28 I have a set of 1980-1 rear urethane flairs and 1980-1 Trans Am urethane flairs. I believe from AAA fiberglass at the time .I used #8 stainless steel phillips screws and washers .With a Fibremototive IMSA fiberglass nose .There are members in this club and I have seen otherwise ,Who have modified a 1979-81 Z-28 front spoiler with a splitter .I even thought of doing it myself. image6.jpg

8. woody80z28

Yes, fiberglass is what I'm looking for, because I want to modify the shape of the rears. I already ditched the urethane front nose and rear bumper...

I don't plan on using welting, and the fiberglass front nose doesn't have holes yet either, so that's fine. Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and see what I get.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I didnt use welting on mine I just took my time fitting them .

10. woody80z28

I did end up grabbing a set of Danko flares. The other place never answered the phone and there was no way to add to a shopping cart online. Danko jerked me around for two months and didn't actually send these until I filed a credit card dispute and then they were all apologetic...but at long last, they are here.
    [​IMG]

On initial mockup, the fitment isn't horrible. Certainly not as good as OEM, but I can tweak it up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biggest issue I see (for my use) is the lack of a bottom flange on the center piece. Probably not a big deal for most people, but I'm going to make a DIY air splitter that mounts to the bottom of the air dam and I need something to fasten to. So I'm thinking I'll lay it on a piece of plywood with some wax paper and glass in some mat to build a new flange. You know, just another project to add to the 1,000 left. haha
    [​IMG]