Fighting the man

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1970 gold, Jul 3, 2021.

1. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Local government is addicted to taxes. We're constantly battling new high-rise development in our small city. City councilors publicly claim to be anti-development, but they can't say no to more property tax "revenue". Mix in a provincial government that is pushing an "infill" policy, small towns and cities don't stand a chance. My city (technically a city, but always had a small town vibe) has been aggressively pursuing a "growth" model and what has come with it? Constant gridlock and bums on every highway offramp and intersection. Now with all this work from home crap, all the scum from the city are moving here, and they are obnoxious, rude and aggressive. Can't wait to get out of here, one day.

roadrace2 likes this.
  2. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

Went to last nights zoning meeting just to research how they vote and what questions they ask. They started out with the old song and dance things are changing. Our county is strange that it only has one commissioner he has the final word. The board can refuse the rezone and he can approve. Well last night during one of these meeting a question came up about chicken coops and per Co code the back of new homes must be 100 feet from touching lots when a home has a coop. If there is a barn 200 feet. The board members started going after the zoning guy and you could tell this was a big issue for making the plan work for the developer.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What I've seen around here's developers have the financial means to sue and know the legal loopholes that tie the town government's hands. High density housing gets pushed under the guise of affordable housing. they'll put in 200 units 10 of them qualify as affordable, that forces the town's hands because of state law. That and the big thing around here now is warehouses because we have so many highways cutting through because we have so many highways cutting through.

It's like there's no way to enforce zoning laws. Unless you're a homeowner looking for a simple variance for an extra 10 ft² of garage or deck or something. Then you're screwed

4. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Veteran Member

We're going through a similar issue . A developer has put in plans for a 3,500 home development a few minutes drive away from our total population of 6,000 town. No plans for roads, etc etc. Beautiful farming land that will be gone.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wish you guys luck... and I can tell you the chances of preventing this are very low.
    The City sees additional property tax revenue and additional jobs.

The best bet is to form an open-space trust and start buying up parcels of land before the developers can.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Here in my little square foot of nowhere they are piling dirt on the edge of a low field (corn and beans alternate on growing seasons) and building homes. I’d venture a guess at some areas being built up as much as 20’ to meet the grade of the road. Can’t imagine the foundations will last on newly piled dirt like that. Not to mention so the natural grade and elevation etc is gone and they are required to dig “ponds” to replace the natural waterways.... so let me get this straight they can pile up dirt in a low area that drains well and then have to dig an artificial pond that scums over near instantly and is a mosquito hellhole and that’s ok but if I want to add a frickin storage shed to my yard I gotta jump through a circus of hoops only to get denied.........

sandlapper, Zstar and 72'z'steve like this.
  7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Literally kitty corner from the back corner of my property across the road is a lowland/marshy area with standing water 8 months out of the year.One day 3 acres of it is marked off and fill starts coming in,a basement suddenly is built on top of fill,standing all alone,the house is 15 feet above the marsh on this "pad" innumerable triaxle dump trucks of demolition fill are brought in to creates a "yard" and a McMansion is built.Neighbors get steamed as this is suppossedly a wetland to find out house is for son of one of the largest home builders in the growing area;).
    Anyway 20 years later the hose has 6 inch heaves in the basement floor,one corner of the house foundation is all cracked and sinking,house has been sold probably 6 times in 20 years,I'm guessing more problems than you can imagine,but daddy got it done for his son back then and the angry neighbors [not me] got the middle finger
    They tried to sell the retention ponds out here as a resource for the fire dept to pull from if we have a marsh fire or large structure fire.:rolleyes: surprisingly there are hydrants 600 yards from two of them when an informed citizen checked it out:cool:
    Like your title Keep "fighting"the man!! Later Steve!!

Zstar likes this.
  8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Unfortunately, People keep moving and reproducing so new homes are required.
    Developers are big money scum and average citizens are not equipped to fight them.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  9. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

What's worse, is that small time, local politicians are in their pockets, one way or the other.

gramps likes this.
  10. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

07AE7B63-0B4B-40D0-97E9-63EC0D5B6C7C.png