Finishing plug welded areas.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Motorhead3, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Seven months since starting and I'm almost done welding my first full quarter, outer wheel house, and trunk drop off on my 70. Done patch panels on other cars before but this is my first full quarter. Came out really nice so far, no warping like when doing patches. AMD parts but still took a lot of fitting. Measure, cut, bend, tweek, clamp everything together, check gaps, find problems, take everything back apart, repeat what seems like 100 times, weld once. Question I have that I can seem to find an answer for is the preferred method to finish the exposed mig welded plug welds, inside door jamb, and around under side of wheel well lip. Body filler or seam sealer? Either way it won't look like the stock spot welds. Also what did the factory use where the tail light panel meets the quarter and at the bottom of the joint between the quarter behind the door to the wheel well and the rocker? Seam sealer or two part panel adhesive? I'd like my finished product to look as stock as possible.

2. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Anybody? I ground down my welds. Smooth. Wasn't like that stock. just washed my stock original 86 Z28 and i can see the spot welds.

3. Chadf

Chadf Member

What i have done in the past on mustang restos is finish your plug welds smooth. The take a punch and grind it flat on the end to your desired size of plug weld. Once the punch is ground flat take a drill bit amd hollow the end out just a tiny bit.. its hard to do because the punch is hardened.. now clamp a heavy plate or a body dolly behind the spot where you want to make the dimple "spot weld" and just dimple it a bit.. it takes some experimenting but works.... or if you have a tig welder.. finish your spot welds smooth.. then lay your spit welds out again.. hit it quick with the tig torch in a circular motion just enoung to make a puddle but not burn threw... both ways work but i prefer the tig method... with a little experimenting both ways you can pull off the "factory " spot weld look and get it really really close

4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jeez I’m pretty fussy but that’s some serious concourse level detailing.

I’ve just started messing with TIG on a floor panel patch and found plug welding through a 3/16” hole, with not too much filler rod turns out a lot like the factory dimple with no grinding needed.