Firearm transfer from Virginia to Arizona question

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was hoping someone here had some experience with a gun transfer across the country. My son left a rifle with a buddy he was in tech school with. He wasn't allowed to keep it in the barracks and felt is was safer leaving it with his friend. My son is now in Georgia and his buddy is now in Virginia. I'm trying to convince him to send it to me for safe keeping. I'm sure his friend is a great guy but people drift apart and unexpected events happen I just think it would be better to have it here.

My question; Is it as simple as finding a FFA dealer in Virginia and having it sent to me via a FFA dealer here in Arizona? Does it mater it's his weapon being sent from his buddy to me? Anyone know what the typical FFA fee is in Virginia?

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's pretty much the gist of it. As a matter of fact, as long as the friend has the FFL information on your end, he can ship it to your FFL directly without having to involve one on his end. Buddy of mine in Montana shipped an Yugo SKS to me that way. On the receiving end, FFL fees for transfers vary. There are two in my area that do transfers for $10. Most are in the $30-50 range.

Here's how I would do it; ID and talk to the FFL on your end. This accomplishes two things; one, lets them know to expect something coming in for you and two you're able to get the information to forward to the shipper. Once you have their FFL number and shipping address from them, forward it to the friend. When he goes to ship it, they'll need that FFL number. UPS is the way to go on shipping firearms. IIRC, they won't be able to do all that at a UPS store, it'll have to be at one of the UPS hub locations (here it's near the airport).

It's pretty straight forward and while I've not shipped one out myself, I've been on the receiving end like you will be.

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Yep...should be as simple as shipping to a FFL person and paying the transfer fee. I live about 10 miles from a dealer who charges just $10 per transaction as well.

Where in GA is your son? (just curious)

4. Knuckle Dragger

Right on, I'll talk with a local guy. I need to find one. I had two different guys and they both moved out of state.

Kings Bay. The fees out here are around $25. I've heard Cali is over a hundred so I wasn't sure what they were like in other places.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Ahhh...a sailor? Thank him for his service.

6. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

you guys need to transfer long guns?

huh

legally in Pennsylvania I could hand a guy a long gun, he hands me the cash & we go our separate ways...buying too

7. Knuckle Dragger

I can do that with a handgun here, but going from Virginia is my issue. Seeing as how the gun belongs to him I want it 100% by the book and not screw up his career with a violation.

Yes sir, I will pass it along to him.

8. SupplySgt

yeah the key issue here is that the firearm is being transferred basically across the country. The only way around the FFL deal would be for the OP to physically drive from AZ to VA in order to do it, and then drive back. The only way to legally ship a firearm, regardless of state, is to go through an FFL.

9. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

hard part is finding a ffl that recieves guns from individuals. they might have to take it to a gun shop and have them send it. jim

10. SupplySgt

There are two or three that I know for sure in my area who will receive from individuals. So I suspect the OP will find at least a couple of options. The hard part when I bought the Yugo from my friend was actually on his end finding an FFL who would ship it out. Most gun shops have no desire to ship a firearm that they're not selling themselves. My guess is they don't make enough off of it to make it worth their time unless they have a prior long term relationship with the customer. I found an FFL locally that would receive from individuals, and he just shipped it himself.

Of course the ironic part was that, if I still ran full lower 48 instead of mostly regional, I could have met him on a run through the area (I used to run through his area regularly, but not in a few years now) and done the exchange there. It's definitely a process, but very doable.