First Dyno run question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Mike Busutil, Jul 9, 2015.

Does my engine require break in time before going to a Dyno?

1. No need to break it in first. It's a full roller engine. Have fun!

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Are you crazy? A dyno will kill that engine if not properly broken in.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Mike Busutil

Mike Busutil Veteran Member

I am very close to finishing the paint on my Camaro and I found a local shop that has their own dyno.

I want to get my Camaro on the Dyno to make sure the timing and carb settings are properly set on my new engine as well as get HP & Torque numbers.

My question is do I need to put some break in time on my engine before going to the dyno?

I assume the safest thing to do is to get some drive time on the engine before any dyno pulls. But I have been told it is not needed.... On the other hand I don't want to drive it around too much if it is not tuned properly.

I have a brand new full roller 540ci BB. The engine has had 7 gallons of fuel ran through it mostly at idle and a few revs during a few heat cycles & checking for leaks.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. Notalent

Notalent Veteran Member

They will break it in for you on the dyno. Being that its a full roller there is not much to do other than check for leaks, set timing, setup carb and a few blasts to seat the rings. Let her eat!

3. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Yep, dyno break in. 7 gallons of fuel? Still do a dyno break in. Rings haven't seen full cylinder pressure yet. Need some seating time.

I'm happy you are at this stage. Been a big project and I think your car has come together beautifully!

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Full Roller.
    A warm up. An oil and filter change to remove the lubriplate. Start it, drive it on trailer, get to the strip. Drive off of trailer and warm it up driving around the pits. Pull into staging lanes, then the burn-out box. Pull up to the line and go on the last yellow.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

As said, couple of heat cycles, change the oil, check the clearances and PULL!!!

6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

You've done enough "break in" at no load. Go lean on it and do your baseline tuning.

7. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

let it eat.

I prefer to break in on the engine dyno at my engine builder's shop whenever I can

You'd be more likely to hurt it driving around without any a/f or timing checks.