first trip to the track

abshire1006

Jul 20, 2015
Gueydan la
well a a couple weeks ago I took my 77 Camaro to the track. when I bought my car it was a street/strip car. it had weld wheels, 3.5 front 275-60-15 hoosier radials. the guy that I bought the car from showed me time slips from the car running [email protected] 134 with a 1.2 60'on a 150 shot of no2 . I got the car and started working on it making it look better. only thing I change that would affect performance it I changed rims and tires. I put billet specialties street lite rims 15x6 front and 15x8 rear and changed the hoosier tires to MT et street 295-55-15. at the track my first pass leaving at about 2000 rpm easy was a 12.7 @107 with a 1.7 60'. kept at it, found I had a couple plug wires that weren't on all the way. put them on and got my times down to 12.414 on motor. after I went home and put the car in my dads shop "where I keep it" and told him I was going to buy a timing light before next time I go. his response was I have one :mad:, I could have choked time lol. but I found I had 18degrees of initial timing and 30 degrees of total timing at 2400rpm. well I have a blue print engine and on there website the car was dynode with 36 degrees at 3500 rpm. so I got my timing advanced, and get lit up my the distributor, my plug going from my coil to my cap wasn't on all the way. also I added a wideband meter and my car is running 13.4 cruising and 13.9-14.3 wot. so I will be jetting up my secondary. my engine specs are sbc 396 10;5;1 comp, 230 duration cam @50 .510 intake .520 exhaust lift. blue print heads 195cc intake runners, 64cc chambers, edelbrock air gap intake, holley street avengers 770 carb. hooker long tube headers. b&M th350 trans with 3500 stall, Easton 10 bolt rear end, with 373 gears. ladder bar &coil over rear suspension. with all this I found what do you guys guess I will run next, what els do you guys think I should do to help out my times. I was told the car has been 11.33 on motor and im 1.1 seconds off :( . hope my little tweeks help if I cant get to mid 11's I guess ill just have to fill the bottle lol

mrdragster1970

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member

1st, everyone lies when selling something.
2nd, that was a fake time slip, no damn way that car runs a 1.20 60'.
3rd, your engine has low compression and a tiny cam, 1.20 60' is a very very very good number,
and usually takes a damn strong combination, engine and chassis.
Keep plugging away, it will run what it runs, you already bought it,
so when it never runs as good as you expected, don't drive yourself nuts.

Good luck with your new toy.

Just for information, my car ran 9.31 @ 146-148 with a 1.33 60', ladder bars, 5500 stall, 468", .788, .788 cam.
With 3 total 1.299 60' in mine shaft weather, and never came close again.

Cataldo

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
^ Yup. You definitely have a few tenths to pick up in tune, timing and fuel air ratio can make a very notable difference, probably not 1.1 seconds though, but half a second maybe. 1.7 60' is right in line with what you have. You should be able to crack 11's with good weather. Which brings up another question how was the weather? for timing I would think 32-36* of total mechanical advance would be where you'll make best power. Just have to experiment. Try launching off of idle next time, sometimes it'll help. My Camaro runs better off of idle, plus it is easier for me to be consistent that way.

Edit:
Also try shifting at different rpm's, just make sure that you make one change at a time, dont change launch and timing for example. Do one thing at a time.

APEowner

Veteran Member
Dec 9, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
It might be worth booking some dyno time. That'll allow you to dial in the timing and fuel and you'll be able to see the power and torque curves so you'll know where to shift.

mrdragster1970

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member

Just talked to a buddy, and he does not recall ever seeing a 10 second car with a 1.20 60'.
I've seen one in 30+ years, and it was a full chassis, 2200 lb ish car that had a mild engine thrown in when his drag motor blew up.
It left great, but then ran out of steam and moseyed on down the track.

Again, good luck dialing her in and she'll run what she runs, just have fun with it.

Marv D

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Gotta agree. 2850 pounds, 800 HP, 14" slick, tube chassis, low 9 second dedicated small block drag car ans I have 'tickled' the 1.2's but typically in the 1.34 range running 145MPH in the 1/4. If you get under 2.0 on street radials with stock suspension your doing pretty darn good.

This guy had a piece of paper blow past the 60' cone or the printer / timer screwed up, or he simply photoshoped the time slip. I ain't buying a 1.2 in a 10 second car I don't care how much nitrous he throws at it.

That said,, like others. You need to do some tuning and get more seat time to find what she likes. (shift points, launch RPM, tire pressure etc) Just keep in mnd,, my 9 second Nova has been beat at teh backet races MANY TIMES by 10 and 11 second cars that are consistant and the driver knows what they are doing. If your wanting to go play in the heads up racing game,, I'd suggest yo go rob a bank or win the lotto cause that is one COSTLY game ot play.

abshire1006

Jul 20, 2015
Gueydan la
well the guy I bought the car from is a friend of mine now. we stay in touch and I get with him on every change I make to the car and he told me he was able to spray the car off the line. Im by no means a drag racing guru but I like to think I know what im doing and im with you guys. either the dude is laying to me about the times or he know a lot more then me. we are going to the track march 6th and hes coming meet me. im gonna let him make a pass in the car and see what she can do with the builder of the car in it. he found the car in a field and built it from scratch. so maybe hes just a lot better driver then me. but Im very confident that the car is capable of 11's, how low I don't know but I will get It there.

as much as I want to make my car a all out drag car its in to good of shape to strip it down. I Drive it a good bit. take it on 100 mile trips to shows and cruise it around a lot. its just a hot rod that I want to make faster and shut some of my buddys up. but its already the "fast car" of the group I hanfg out with. I just know there is more in the car and im not getting the car to its full potential. my first trip to the track i didn't want to spray it because i wanted to get the car as lined out as possible on motor. i think i have all the bugs worked out and now i might have to put a little no2 to it. when i get home from work ill post some videos and my slips to show you guys my first trip and i will get some more for my second trip. thanks for the feedback guys.