Fixed rear calipers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by newschool72, Oct 7, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I have 4 piston fixed calipers on the rear of my 72 and have been working on minimizing possible brake pad bump back and trying to cut down on brake drag. I did some modification to my axles and have them at .004 to.009 end play, so I don't think the bump back will be an issue anymore. What I need is some input on is the caliper side to side tolerance on the disc. I have ordered the shim washers that will get the caliper perfectly centered on the disc but I wonder how much difference it will make on brake drag or pedal feel. Right now both of the calipers are off center to the outside by .078 on one side and .115 on the other. The only thing that centering them will do is make the caliper pistons at the same depth on both sides of the caliper. Does it make any difference if they aren't even?

2. newschool72

No one has an opinion? I am going to get the calipers centered, just wanted some common sense feed back on whether it makes a difference IYO.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I installed a Wilwood kit on the front I distinctly remember centering the caliper with .040" on both sides. Can't recall what I did on the rear but never had a drag issue with it.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

will be a moot point (within reason ..say .060)as they will DRAG regardless as they should have some residual pressure anyways.

5. newschool72

From what Ive read, you shouldn't have much , if any residual pressure when the brakes aren't mashed. I just read where a guy fixed the bump back on his Pro Touring C10 by putting a residual pressure valve in the rear lines, so he would have pressure against the pads to hold the pads against the rotors when the axles snapped back and forth in the twisties.