Flow testing AFR vs Profiler

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by muscl car, Apr 21, 2021.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very interesting video comparing AFR 195's and Profiler 195's

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Let's put a real competition valve job on both heads and we will see who wins. Right now as I see it the the Profiler with a better exhaust port is the better head for me.

sooner and muscl car like this.
  3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Very interesting video with lots of good information, hat's off to the guy for doing this, and calling it the way he see's it, no BS with this guy.....

I guess it comes down to the $$$ and availability, and are you willing to spend the extra $600 for only a 5-7 cfm average (intake) gain from 100-600 lift vs the AFR's, that's like only 10- 15 hp on your average 10.5 cr 23* SBC. Give the Profilers a good professional valve job, and clean up the bowl and that will be almost a moot point.

The other thing is the Profilers do it with a smaller valve and bowl, (coefficient of discharge) albeit with a slightly more CSA at the pinch. Take out the corner radius on both heads, and the AFR's are even faster. I like the AFR chambers better, and that's not something that truly shows up on the bench....but, the pedestal pad on the Profilers are nice and robust, and one shouldn't ignore the effects of stud and valve train stability, another thing that shows on the dyno and but not the flow bench.

There's a set of brand new Profilers at the dyno shop, going on a 383 SBC, I'll see what they flow on the SF1020, then we will see how they do on the dyno in the next few weeks as I'm building a custom carb for this customer.

If your good with the die grinder, and know your way around a set of heads, the Profilers look to be a better deal, and may compliment the larger cube builds and/or upper RPM HP focus.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    76z28, sooner and muscl car like this.
  4. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

Eric knows his stuff very well. Dealt with him , picked up a set of profilers from him

sooner likes this.
  5. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is the money shot for me:

upload_2021-4-23_20-39-36.png

I love that short turn design. Its like the RHS short turn, only a little wider at the apex and laid back further as cast.

As posted above, it would not take much work to make those really really good. They are a porters head for sure.

Chad Speier has several sets of these on ebay right now bare with his valve job for $1050/pair. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

That's a very good deal @ 1,050 a pair.

7. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’d be willing to let him test my AFR competition 195s. Maybe get him to massage them as well

8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Notice how the Profiler backs up on intake flow past 600" lift.
    Look at the chamber on that Profiler head at the flat quench pad area of the chamber near the intake valve
    they hooked the chamber out right there.
    GM Vortec 906 and 062 is hooked out right there in the chamber. It will also back up on a flow bench.
    Fill that area Like Vizard did and the head no longer backs up.

Why did Profiler decide to make that chamber hook in that area?

I do love the comparison.

1980RS likes this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

And being they are aluminum a lot easier to fix also. I will be taking an old Vortec head later this year and welding that area on a stock head to see what difference it makes on the flow bench.

jeff swisher likes this.
  10. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have any experience with that chamber design, but Ill bet if you were just to take the intake bowl to 100% and knock down the corners at the apex of the SSR it would slow it down enough to make the bend. Its plenty wide there already.

I have to admit that I was surprised to see the AFR not back up. I noticed that it didn't have the wing, I thought that all of their sbc intake ports regardless of cut were using the wing.