Follow that drunk?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Cardinal, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damn man. I'm very sorry this happened to you...:( :eek:

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Yeah, I agree. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I saw a similar accident on one of those TV shows a few years back. I hope you are doing ok today!

3. RSA'81Berlinetta

RSA'81Berlinetta Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Never a dull moment it seems

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't mean to indite anyone that is diabetic. I stated what the trooper said.

What was odd about this whole incident was the fact that not one other person called 911 to report his behavior! NOT ONE! There were hundreds of cars going by us in 10+ miles of this "trip". We couldn't understand how anyone in their right mind wouldn't get involved with a situation where a driver was wandering into oncoming traffic, weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights with cars stopped at the red light, WACKING the guardrails, etc. Boggles the mind how no one got involved but us.

PA Dave: I am truly sorry for your loss. One of the things that JD and I talked after this was mandatory testing of elderly persons. I know that my reaction times are much slower at 60 than they were at 30. I wouldn't want what happened to you to be on my conscience, ever.

5. henry1088

henry1088 Veteran Member

Well I don't see how someone in shock would drive 10 miles anyway. Going as slow as you said he was you'd think he'd stop the truck if he felt symptoms.

Anywho....I've called the troopers before on people driving like they were drunk...nothing ever came of it even after following the guy for several miles. Maybe the cops would rather write an accident report or maybe they are scared its one of them driving that car. Well around were I live the last scenario is more likely.

6. Cardinal

I've never had a problem getting law enforcement to react to a situation that I called in on 911. BUT it has taken them time to get to the situation given the circumstance that it wasn't a life threatening deal. When we had someone drive through our front lawn tearing out a HUGE lilac bush and a rail road tie out of the ground (throwing it through the air 50'), it took the troopers (one plus a trainee) about thirty minutes to get here. I could hear them coming up the valley for about three minutes (middle of the night, no other sounds).

Like every job, they're under staffed. Forty years ago, NYS troopers rode two in a car. Now they only have one to a car unless they are training someone.

All I can say about the whole thing (again) is that I'm thankful that nobody got hurt.

7. dcs13

dcs13 Veteran Member

Its very possible for someone going into diabetic shock to do this. What is also amazing is just how quickly you can get them back alert with just a little sugar.
    Great job calling it in. You could have saved some lives. The troopers are trained to consider diabetic issues when a impaired driver is encountered...Cause if they don't and the cuff and stuff em, the guy will lapse into a coma and die...
    Devils advocate on the other end though. Once the cops are there, let them handle it and don't get too close. Too many people involved in too many shoot outs with the cops lately. Who knows, may be the poor guy got laid off, went on a bender and when he see's the cops , he says crap, not another DWI and e snaps ...If you're that close, a bullet don't care who you are...Just a thought. Be safe and YES, call in on stuff like this.

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The kids and I followed a guy who was driving like that, he passed me and was crowding my lane, so it made me perk up and take notice and as he cleared my front end he came on over and then he glanced off a few telephone poles. Other people on th road were giving him plenty of room. We followed him for about 15 miles until he turned off the highway and into his driveway(or somebody's) at about 45 mph, ran straight up through the yard up to the front porch and parked one wheel on the steps, opened the door and got out and swaggered up the steps and inside.....I didn't call anyone(didn't have a phone with me), but figured if that wasn't where he lived, somebody would call.

Just glad that no one got hurt.

9. Cardinal

GMC boy was complying to the troopers commands and we were back about a car length with a clear lane behind us. By the time we were blocked in (by police cars), GMC boy was on the ground and hog tied. Up to that time, I was scanning the mirrors and had the Tahoe in four wheel drive = I'm out of here! if things looked like they were going wrong!

10. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you know its funny john, i follow one to bed every night ;)

wow what an odd story. any news today???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009