? for guys using Caltracs

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Bill81, May 5, 2010.

1. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

I made a set, Im a CNC machinist & made all the parts at work. I used good QA1 rod ends & all grade 8 bolts & nuts & spent about $100 total. I duno how anyone could make a set for $40 i had more than that in my rod ends.

2. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much would you charge to make me a set? ;)

3. buckracer24

buckracer24 Veteran Member

Your getting heim joints and tube ends mixed up,tube ends are threaded inserts that go into the tube and get welded in place then you put your heim joints in.

4. buckracer24

I didn't skimp with any of the parts, all the brackets were cut on a cnc laser cutter out of 3/16 mild steel(a friend of mine did that for me) the bars are 1.250od tube(had that), the tube ends I got at mcmaster carr for $8 each (left and right hand thread) heim joints I got from the same friend that cut the brackets, aluminum round stock for spacers and bushings I got at work and turned it on my lathe at home and all the nuts bolts and washers are grade 8 which I also got from work.

thats how I built mine so cheap and even if I had to spend $100 or $150 I would still be way ahead right?

5. Bill81

Bill81 Veteran Member

I said rod ends not tube ends. And rod ends and heim joints are the same thing. Look it up on jegs. Also, where are you coming up with the 430 cost. I just got mine in yesterday and they were 362.

6. buckracer24

sorry,I consider tube ends the things that get welded to the tube and the heim joints thread into them.

$362US $430 Canadian EH!!!! lol

7. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

Anyone got those measurements? I am interested in making my own. Post it up or PM me the info, thanks!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
    I know it was said before, but here is the link to mcmaster-carr. You can find just about anything you want.

8. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

Did anyone ever get some measurements or templates on these? Looked around and havent found any. In paticular, Im looking for the tube length. Speedway has some Heim joints on closeout and would like to order the Swedged tubing while Im at it.

9. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Camertom on here made his own set(& we\ve compared his to my bought set) & the one problem no one, including us, has solved is adjusting them quickly & easily.
    Caltracs have one regular & one reverse thread heim joint per bar. To adjust them you undo the lock nut & spin the tube. With Tom's homemade bars, using regular thread ends, you have remove the through bolt & adjust the length, then jack up the car to reinstall the bar.
    I can adjust mine in 2 minutes with one wrench while Tom's can take 1/2 hour or more.

I've looked & never been able to find a set of reverse thread heim joints &/or the tap to thread the other end of the adjusting bar.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can get reverse thread heim joints.